Fuji RT500 Reversal Film

I just bought 400' of Fuji RT500 on eBay, and am thinking of buying more. (The stock is 7 years old and said to be frozen throughout its lifetime.)

It's all part of my quest to shoot a whole bunch of color reversal films this summer. Questing, testing and having fun. I'm planning to push, cross process and otherwise experiment with the reversal for bigtime crazy film look wiki wiki.

But alas, I can find nothing about this film via Google and Fuji web site. Do any of you wizards know anything about this film stock, particularly the details of reversal, etc?

One of the web searches I did regurgitated this site in the Netherlands:

http://www.super8filmlab.demon.nl/16mmrevprocess.htm

Am I going to have trouble getting this film processed in the US? Are the film police going to whisk in with their helicopters and take away my environmentally unsound film?

• Premium Member

The Fuji RT500 was compatible with the Kodak VNF-1 and Kodak RVNP processes. Fuji discontinued this line of reversal films years ago.

Even if frozen, a 500 speed film is likely to have degraded significantly in 7 years of storage, mostly due to ambient radiation. Most likely the grain has increased, the contrast has decreased, the blacks have lost density, and there is contrast mismatch.

Even if frozen, a 500 speed film is likely to have degraded significantly in 7 years of storage, mostly due to ambient radiation.  Most likely the grain has increased, the contrast has decreased, the blacks have lost density, and there is contrast mismatch.

I got 5 400' rolls for $40/roll (incl shipping) so it's not a big loss for me. More of an experiment than anything. On the off chance that a decent result can be had, I'll shoot a short-short on it. If it's all crappy, the stock is destined for playtime only (or some local punk band's music video).

John (or anyone): what would you suggest as the best approach to minimize the problems I'm likely to encounter with this film stock? I realize there's nothing that can be done about ambient radiation essentially fogging the film (short of hopping into my time machine, but it's in the shop) - but would I perhaps increase the black density by rating the film at 250 and having the lab process it as a slower film, i.e. less time in the developer bath?

The plan is to spool off a bit (25-50 feet) of each can, then clip test them at the lab. If there's any hope of a usable image, I'll work with the lab on getting the best results. (Obviously any advice and guidance in the testing area/procedure is more than welcome.)

BTW, I realize this is somewhat "unprofessional" approach with this film stock. But I'm inquisitive, acquisitive, and highly experimental - having only owned my 16mm gear for less than a year now & having shot only about 2000' of film in it so far (years of 35mm still, Super8, and video previously), I feel the urge to play as much as possible. When I get around to shooting something serious, I only use fresh sealed cans.

• Premium Member

Hi,

Labs don't develop different films differently, assuming it's all the same basic type (colour neg, reversal, whatever). The differences in composition and exposure ensure that the lab can run it all the same way.

The only way to get them to do any different is to ask for push or pull processing, which carries a fee.

Phil

• Premium Member

Generally, with outdated stock, you should AVOID push processing. Most films lose a bit of speed and contrast with age, so start your testing with normal and overexposure, and little or no contrast reduction filtration.