Filters for Video

Jacqueline Donaldson

HI there,

I'm shooting a short next week and I visited the location today, we are shooting on Mini DV and the location is an apartment with alot of light, huge windows and lots of white walls, I'm going for natural lighting as much as possible, but the director wants to enhance the feeling of the apartment being this unnaturally beautiful serene place, like heaven (when actually in the script it's really the opposite), almost dreamy and warm, I'd like to use a filter to enhance and tweek the natural light bouncing off the walls, what one should I use? I'm thinking about a warm pro mist, or just a white pro mist? I've never used either and I can't go and try them out, this is a no budget project, I'm not sure at this point if we can even get hold of them, but I like to be prepared. Would either of these give the desired effect and are there any suggestions as to any other filters that might give me an interesting effect.

Also, I haven't alot of stuff on Mini DV, and it's been about a decade since I last shot on video, do I have to lay black down on all the tapes before we start to record, or is th T/C recorded automatically as we shoot? I know, dumb question!

Thanks

Jacqueline

Since you have no budget and since this prevents any test footage, forget the on-camera filters and do your enhancements and tweaking in post.

No, you don't have to lay down black, although some still do. Which camera are you using?

I would try a strong black promist but it is all a question of how the director imagin the atmospher. Are you using ND'S for the windows? is the outside overexposed and the inside? do you have night shots with the huge windows?