Field Mic and lighting

parklandmedia

Hi

I have a Canon XL2 and I am wondering what field mic works best with the XL2.

I am also looking into updating my lighting equipment and was wondering what a good let set-up would be.

The less money I spend the better.

Steve

Hey,

I bought several, 2 tube 4 foot flourescent ballasts from home depot and they work great for soft lighting. With the adjustments you can make on the XL2, the color of the flourescents can be controlled.

For directional lighting, I bought several clamp on fixtures, the ones with the metal domes that require regular incandescant bulbs. I then bought some stainless steel heating/cooling ducting and mounted it to the dome. I painted the inside of the ducting with flat black paint to control directionality. The dome lights can usualy use up to 150watt bulbs. The GE Reveal bulbs look great on the XL2.

That's just what I do...with my very small budget.

Yeomans

Steve, before answering your questions, it would help to know what it is you'll be shooting. Interior or exterior? Talking heads or a horse race? For me, no two jobs are exactly the same. The mics and lights I use in one shoot may not work in another.

Steve, before answering your questions, it would help to know what it is you'll be shooting. Interior or exterior? Talking heads or a horse race? For me, no two jobs are exactly the same. The mics and lights I use in one shoot may not work in another.

Some of the Produtions I do are done inside and few are done outside. Alot are interviews and someone talking to someone else, type things such liek commercials, documentories, and the such. I know there is no one uber mic and ubedr light set. Maybe i should look into a getting a good lavaliere mic and a field mic. That should cover my needs in most areas.

I use a shotgun mic now but it is of low quality. Most of the the time it seems to do the job, but it always had a problem of finding the loudest sound in the room or area. Which made audio editing a pain.

For lighting I used the yelllow heads from Home Depot. they worked good for a while untill the fell a part.

Lighting I am not that worried about, becasue the XL2 does a good job with what ever you toss at it.

So many choses so little money.

Thanks,

Steve