Converting S8 to video off the projection screen

Canney

Okay heres the deal. I am using a bell and howell directors series projector to show super 8mm kodachrome films onto a heavy blank white paper projection screen at 24fps. I am then shooting the image with a sony HVR-Z1U camera in HDV-PAL at 1/25 shutter speed. This eliminates the shutter flicker and maintians image motion fairly well.

The problem I am haveing is getting the sharpness on the image to come out to what I would like along with the color to a saturated level. I was wondering if any one could tell me some pictures settings for the camera. As I have been playing around with them and various combonations seems to work better. I was wondering if some one has already done the figuring out work on this already or if someone has and suggestions as to how I can improve it.

Pretty much I found that turning up the color sensor on the camera works well but I was wondering if there is anything else I should do.

Edited by Canney

"Off the wall" DYI projection transfers such as you describe are what they are. You can tweak your setup a bit to improve your focus, but it will never come close to looking like a professional telecine. The best way to use that DYI transfer is to copy all your rough material onto video, then decide on your NLE what you want to keep and take the good material to a post house for a proper transfer.

Yeah I should just play around with the focus, color and whitebalance and gama and do the transfer multiple times and take the best portions of each for the different settings. I think thats what I'll do for now cause I am debating wether or not I should get the transfer done at a proper facility with the proper equipment. I'm just reluctant to pay out the money.

Edited by Canney

• Premium Member
Yeah I should just play around with the focus, color and whitebalance and gama and do the transfer multiple times and take the best portions of each for the different settings. I think thats what I'll do for now cause I am debating wether or not I should get the transfer done at a proper facility with the proper equipment. I'm just reluctant to pay out the money.

If you have a spotlight setting I would use that. Multiple pass transfers is a very logical albeit time-consuming way to get an optimized version of your film. Still not as good as using a professional house but should be better than only using one setting all the way through.