Remote camera movement:

Guest peter orland

Guest peter orland

I was at a talk last night given by director Kate Shortland (Somersault) held at Metro Screen. Afterwards I got talking to an actor/filmmaker who was telling me about an experimental feature he is trying to get up. The film is a sci-fi thriller with only one actor and he is going to act and make the film entirely on his own (not sure whether it's been done before)?

Anyway. He was asking me how he could introduce camera movement into his shots without anyone operating the camera/device. I didn't have a clue so I said I would ask the forum.

Anyone have any ideas, experience, info on this type of thing?

a security camera on a electric pan-tilt head , with motion detecting software, following the action of the actor.

The actor could have a remote control to be able to zoom in or out to certain preset sizes.

or: this combined with a circle track around the set, again like a security camera, from above. But now on a dolly so the camera slowly moves around the room, combined with the motion tracking it can give a continue changing shot.

anyway, it needs to be highly electronical.

So I am not sure if it can be done in low-budget.....

You click on the remote control. Go to Adult movies. Click on your choice of film. When you check out look embarrassed and explain that you didn?t rent the film. Did I misunderstand what he is trying to do?

Guest peter orland
xcuse my offtopic question, but was that the australian movie somersault ?

Yes it is.

You click on the remote control. Go to Adult movies. Click on your choice of film. When you check out look embarrassed and explain that you didn?t rent the film. Did I misunderstand what he is trying to do?

Sorry Bob, I have no idea what you're talking about mate. You might need to up the medication.

You might need to up the medication.

I'm already at max dosage.

However, with regards to moving the camera: He could get a lightweight dolly and set the track slightly off level,side to side, ifts slowly one way. I'd get a large monitor so I could see wherethe I was in frame or not regardles of what the camera was doing.

Guest peter orland
I'm already at max dosage.

Good one mate. I've switched to beer. It seems to be working well at the moment.

However, with regards to moving the camera: He could get a lightweight dolly and set the track slightly off level,side to side, ifts slowly one way. I'd get a large monitor so I could see wherethe I was in frame or not regardles of what the camera was doing.

What a great but simple idea.

Yesterday I sat around discussing how it could be achieved with a bunch of film school mates (over a few beer medications) and all the ideas were quite elaborate, all involving servo motors, pulleys etc..etc. Which some of them would work but it would end up costing quite a bit.

This is one of those times where experience shows. Thanks. I'll past it on.

Of course I'll tell him I came up with the idea but...