Getting chosen for the DP Job

Jamie Metzger

Anyone have any advice for how to get that DP job that the director is deliberating over, besides showing a reel?

I know I have some other guys competing against me for this one position and I want it.

I'll take all the help I can get!

David Mullen, will you break their legs for me?? :lol:

• Premium Member
Anyone have any advice for how to get that DP job that the director is deliberating over, besides showing a reel?

I know I have some other guys competing against me for this one position and I want it.

I'll take all the help I can get!

David Mullen, will you break their legs for me?? :lol:

Honestly, suck up a little. Take the director out for dinner, schmooze a little. Talk about the project, toss out some ideas. Be personable and come off as someone the director would like to work with.

Recently I was in the same position. I went and spoke with the director and talked to him about his script. I shared my interpretation of it visually and explained reasons why I saw it that way. This seems to have made him feel more comfortable and sure of my capabilities. A couple days later I got the word -- were shooting the feature next summer (this summer we're looking for funding, etc.)

Best of luck!

• Premium Member

Your reel and your ideas for the project (show them artwork, etc.) and your enthusiasm hopefully will be enough, and if it isn't, then maybe it's not meant to be. Honestly, I generally find it's a mistake to work TOO hard to convince someone who is overly reluctant to hire me because I'd rather only be hired by people that are enthusiastic about me, rather than deal with a "you've got to prove yourself to us" attitude.

You can't do good work without first having the trust of everyone, otherwise all you end up doing is covering your ass and playing it safe.

Your reel and your ideas for the project (show them artwork, etc.) and your enthusiasm hopefully will be enough, and if it isn't, then maybe it's not meant to be. Honestly, I generally find it's a mistake to work TOO hard to convince someone who is overly reluctant to hire me because I'd rather only be hired by people that are enthusiastic about me, rather than deal with a "you've got to prove yourself to us" attitude.

You can't do good work without first having the trust of everyone, otherwise all you end up doing is covering your ass and playing it safe.

Thank you for responding Mr. Mullen.

I just spent the past 2 days on my first big shoot. I shot 45 shots in 12 hours, all of them looked great, and hardly anything was sacrificed.

I think I was worried about this job that I am trying to get, because I need to get some footage I am happy with to show other people. This shoot will help a lot, along with other ones that I have been completing.

Recently I was in the same position. I went and spoke with the director and talked to him about his script. I shared my interpretation of it visually and explained reasons why I saw it that way. This seems to have made him feel more comfortable and sure of my capabilities. A couple days later I got the word -- were shooting the feature next summer (this summer we're looking for funding, etc.)

Ah yes FUNDING!

I worked side by side with a NY DOP last year on an HD Feature film shot by an international team on location in Thailand.

We all made the mistake of actually believing the producer that the funds were all in place as he made us turn over on on the first day of 22 very long days and nights.

It was only weeks after we all returned home with the project safely in the can, that we discovered the ink had never dried on the contracts between the producer and the investors and close to 100 people were out of pocket every single dollar they were owed and to this day, still are!

The director was so p---ed at the producer, he created a web page http://www.urbanrebel.com/THAI6002.htm to expose what he saw as the producers shortcomings and all the bad publicity he generated made absolutely certain no one would ever invest in the project in the future - and in doing so - guaranteed none of the crew that worked so hard for him would EVER be paid!

Go figure!