Pro8mm "Festival Challenge" - whatchathink?

Guest Ian Marks

Guest Ian Marks

I saw this on the "other" forum and wondered what the reaction would be here. Copied and pasted:

April 20, 2006, Burbank, CA For Immediate Release From Pro8mm

Media Contact, Rhonda@pro8mm.com

In response to years of requests by clients and industry colleagues, Pro8mm presents the Classic Super8mm Film Challenge: THINK BIG, SHOOT SMALL, our first ever company sponsored film festival. Contestants will shoot a creative project on one roll of Pro8mm film with all edits done in the camera. The idea of the single roll festival is not a new one, with many dynamic variations of the theme world wide. The Pro8mm challenge hopes to differentiate itself by giving filmmakers the option to shoot any of the 27 Pro8mm stocks the company offers. This will elevate the level of challenge for the contestant, who will need to consider which film stock is best suited for the filming environment chosen. Given the huge range of ASA?s, daylight and tungsten balances available, creative considerations will be driven in part by which film stock they choose. The first prize is the coveted Pro8mm Classic Professional MAX 8 Camera Package, valued at $3,500.

The call for entries will run until November 1, 2006. Contestants can download the entry form from www.pro8mm.com . Submit the signed form with the $88.88 entry fee by FAX (818-848-5956) or surface mail (2805 West Magnolia Blvd, Burbank, CA 91505). Pro8mm will then ship you the film stock you chose and the official submission and release forms. After the film is shot, return it to Pro8mm where it will be processed, prepped and cleaned for telecine and transferred to DVD with full scene to scene color correction on our new URSA DIAMOND Y FRONT SCANNER with DUI COLOR CORRECTOR. Each contestant will receive a personal DVD copy of their work. The original film remains the property of Pro8mm. Think you can do better? You can enter as many times as you like.

Entries will be evaluated by our distinguished panel of judges. The team consists of Chris Gore (Film Threat), Giles Perkins (On Super8.org), Chris Cottrill (Super8 Today), Scott Bayer (Film Festival Today), Dave Walker (Indie Slate). Every entry will be entered into our drawing to win one of ten 4 Roll Film Sampler Packages valued at $300.

And there?s more! The top 25 entries will be screened at a dedicated event and private party on January 20th, 2007 held at a well known Park City haunt during the world famous FILM FESITVAL WEEK! Additional public screenings will be held, both in Park City and additional tour venues. Select footage of these films will be chosen for the new Pro8mm DVD Demo which is sent out to thousands of production companies worldwide.

Guest santo

whatchathink?

As opposed to super 8 specific/freakshow events as I am, this is enough to make me try and think of a good idea for an entry, that's what I think.

• Premium Member
whatchathink?

As opposed to super 8 specific/freakshow events as I am, this is enough to make me try and think of a good idea for an entry, that's what I think.

It's a good idea, but flawed.

Entry fee is too high.

Limited intelligent sound design by the filmmaker because the film is submitted and when is the sound added??? Not only does one lose their rights to the film, but the only copy the filmmaker receives won't even be editable because it will be on DVD.

Other than those issues, it's great that they are doing something, um, not really because they will probably never do something in which the filmmakers benefit as much as their own "company" does.

Guest santo

Did you catch this quote, Alex?

"...our new URSA DIAMOND Y FRONT SCANNER with DUI COLOR CORRECTOR."

Wow! So they've done big upgrades.

Now all they have to do is make the move to offer uncompressed HD and SD direct-to-hard drive and they'll be real contenders for indie filmmakers working on the internet long distance level not living in Los Angeles and shooting small format (the gigantic balance of indie filmmakers, of course).

After all the years of taking so much from the film community, why can't they give something back with no strings attached. Instead they charge an exorbitant entry fee for their own "festival" where all footage becomes their property for their own demo. What a rip!

They are actually getting the filmmakers to put up the money for their company demo!!!

• Premium Member
After all the years of taking so much from the film community, why can't they give something back with no strings attached. Instead they charge an exorbitant entry fee for their own "festival" where all footage becomes their property for their own demo. What a rip!

They are actually getting the filmmakers to put up the money for their company demo!!!

I was thinking the same thing but I actually refrained from adding it to my list of comments/criticisms.

As for the Ursa Diamond Rank.....What I've seen at places that really sweat the details and don't cheap out on the Rank Cintel "accessories", the Mark III can still do a fantastic job if it is completely up to spec. Unless the Ursa is completely up to spec as well, a fully functioning and maintained Mark III will do a fine job.