Scanning and editing 2k

Vedran Rupich

I have som rolls of 16mm 7245 that I´m gonna develope and eventually scan.

I`m very tempted to scan in 2k as it allows for brutal color correction before it falls apart.

the telecine process is very new to me...

I have done som dv, hdv, beta and super8.

But now its time for 16mm...

I suppose i get a work print from the post house that i can edit and send back to them to allow for

them to scan whatever's necessary...Is this assumption correct?

And now to the big questionmark... If I scan my material in 2k, how will i color correct and grade it?

is it doable in Premiere and AE, I know AE handles up to 4k.

I have a dual AMD processor system that is pretty up to date...

Can I handle color correction and editing of 2k on my system and what are the requirements?

I have heard of Cineform Prospect which is supposed to handle 2k, any advices och experiences?

Thanks in advance!

Hi, are you requesting a 2k scan so that you can do a film out to 35mm? What is your final deliverable? Is this project 16mm (4:3) or Super 16 (1.66-1.78?) A 2k scan is uneccessary if you are just planning on mastering to HD such as D5 or HDCAM SR. As far as color as how much you can push and pull an image in post has nothing to do with resolution (ie NTSC, HD, 2k, 4k), but is directly a result of bit depth and compression (Digibeta -10bit, HDCAM 8bit, HDCAM SR - 10bit, Cineon - 30bit etc.). When color grading on a computer, be aware that computer CRT monitors and LCD computer screens should not be used for final color grading. All your equipment should be calibrated to LUTs. My answers here at best brief, so be sure to research and if possible perform a complete workflow test on a few short clips from scan to film out. Best of luck.

it would be output to SD eventually or perhaps HD.

So the resolution is not important when it comes to color grading?

well in that case I´ll scan it directly to SD...what is the least compressed format that i should use

when i scanning or editing?

Is it possible to request an output to a harddrive so i can use it on my desktop without any capturing?

In that case what lossless format would be good, as this is a project thats gonna require alot of colorcorrection?

it would be output to SD eventually or perhaps HD.

So the resolution is not important when it comes to color grading?

well in that case I´ll scan it directly to SD...what is the least compressed format that i should use

when i scanning or editing?

Is it possible to request an output to a harddrive so i can use it on my desktop without any capturing?

In that case what lossless format would be good, as this is a project thats gonna require alot of colorcorrection?

If you are going to finish the film on SD or HD and not back out to film, have it telecined to hard drive as an uncompressed file. You will get very good color and can do a thorough color grade from that file. As whether to do a flat transfer or best light is debatable. A flat tk will give the colorist more room to play with the image. Bear in mind that working with uncompressed files requires a rather fast raid array. A high end monitor is alson required. So may I suggest that you take your hard drive to a post house for the final grade, they can do it quicker and easier. It may cost you the same money to set up your computer to do this as it would to go to a post house. Good luck.

chris

letting a posthouse do the final grading seems like a bad option especially as a big part of the project is colorgrading. I would like to try It out. I have used colorfiness and lustre but on this partcular project i will settle with colorfiness. I guess I need fast drives in order to playback in real time, but perhaps realtime playback wont be necessary just for the color grading. I'm looking forward a month of hard work, abuse of hardware, overall frustration, dead end work, theoretical studies and practical exercises...but damn'it it's gonna work.