rem-jet layer

• Premium Member
is there any 'home-made' formula I can use to remove the carbon layer of kodak negatives? Also, can I do C41 after the layer is removed? Thanks.

richard

You can try using the ECN-2 prebath, with a water wash-off in total darkness (very difficult to keep rem-jet particles from becoming embedded in the sticky gelatin emulsion in a "home made" operation):

http://www.kodak.com/US/plugins/acrobat/en.../h247/h2407.pdf

Some have had success wiping off the rem-jet with pure isopropyl alcohol prior to the process.

The C-41 process is quite different than the ECN-2 process, and even uses a different color developing agent (CD-4 rather than CD-3). So don't expect "normal" sensitometry, even if you are able to get off the rem-jet prior to processing a motion picture film in C-41.

I've found that Borax (available at the grocery store) is effective at removing rem-jet. In fact, Borax is a major component of the ECN-2 prebath.

However, I've found that's it's unnecessary to wash off the rem-jet prior to hand processing. Although this makes quite a nasty mess of the developer, it still works. If you do decide to leave it on and start with the developer, my advice would be to use a stop bath of HIGHLY DILUTED sulfuric acid immediately afterward. When I say highly diluted, I'm talking barely one drop in 250ml of water. According to the ECN-2 spec, the pH of the stop should be 0.8 to 1.5. Most of the rem-jet will drain out of the hand tank after the stop is applied and you do the first wash.

John, I haven't had any problems leaving the rem-jet on during C-41 hand-processing. I have dumped all the chemicals after each roll, though.

• Premium Member
I've found that Borax (available at the grocery store) is effective at removing rem-jet. In fact, Borax is a major component of the ECN-2 prebath.

However, I've found that's it's unnecessary to wash off the rem-jet prior to hand processing. Although this makes quite a nasty mess of the developer, it still works. If you do decide to leave it on and start with the developer, my advice would be to use a stop bath of HIGHLY DILUTED sulfuric acid immediately afterward. When I say highly diluted, I'm talking barely one drop in 250ml of water. According to the ECN-2 spec, the pH of the stop should be 0.8 to 1.5. Most of the rem-jet will drain out of the hand tank after the stop is applied and you do the first wash.

John, I haven't had any problems leaving the rem-jet on during C-41 hand-processing. I have dumped all the chemicals after each roll, though.

It sounds like the rem-jet comes off the film and just floats around in the developer solution without becoming embedded in the emulsion. Fine when you are running in a batch mode in a home tank.

In a processing machine, those rem-jet particles get pressed into the film by the many rollers that transport the film through the machine. "Wiper blade" squeegees used to prevent solution carry-over from tank to tank can literally "rub in" any particles sitting on the film surface.

Bottom line: rem-jet may not be an issue in a home tank situation, as long as you are willing to discard the dirty solution and avoid "pressing" any suspended particle into the film. But in a commercial continuous C-41 or E-6 machine, the rem-jet will quickly contaminate the machine and any film running through it.