Critique my website?

Is it bending the rules to submit a website for critique? I designed and published it myself, no third party involved. It was a creative effort that will showcase my film (now in production), so I want it to look as good as possible, be simple to navigate, and effectively convey my project.

What do you think of the layout? Anything missing? Anything difficult to use/understand?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Production photos are being uploaded today, so if they're not there when you visit, try again in a little while.

My Webpage

• Premium Member

Simple looking, which is good ... but the style is kind of amateur-ish, like it was designed by a high-schooler & not a professional. For example, since it's HTML all of the images show the empty 'image loading here' box until the images load.

The slickest sites I've seen lately are all flash driven. If the point is to sell your cinematography and/or production services then the website needs to look as professional as possible. Fair or not people judge your skills based upon surface appearances like websites.

Good Luck!

Simple looking, which is good ... but the style is kind of amateur-ish, like it was designed by a high-schooler & not a professional. For example, since it's HTML all of the images show the empty 'image loading here' box until the images load.

The slickest sites I've seen lately are all flash driven. If the point is to sell your cinematography and/or production services then the website needs to look as professional as possible. Fair or not people judge your skills based upon surface appearances like websites.

Good Luck!

That's the kind of input I need. I had considered flash content, but I am running the whole production AND the website, so time is a factor, and I'd rather skimp on website quality than film quality.

Can you recommend good Flash software?

Thanks!

what r u talkin bout?

Flash is Flash!

If you want flash content, you've gotta use Flash!

And, I recommend it also, cause your website

looks like HTML crap!, I've seen alot worse HTML

sites, but its still crap!

Sorry, dont mean to be rude, but I've always felt

that honesty will push us as artists.

Good luck

Is it bending the rules to submit a website for critique? I designed and published it myself, no third party involved. It was a creative effort that will showcase my film (now in production), so I want it to look as good as possible, be simple to navigate, and effectively convey my project.

What do you think of the layout? Anything missing? Anything difficult to use/understand?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Production photos are being uploaded today, so if they're not there when you visit, try again in a little while.

My Webpage

One thing I noticed, your image button links don't act like normal links. The cursor doesn't change to the 'pointing hand' icon that is usually the case when a user moves their cursor over a link. I believe it could be extraneous code generated by Microsoft Frontpage or Office export to HTML feature.

In any case, it still works - only not as a regular web surfer would expect. Thought you might like to know this.

Design-wise, it is rather plain. Perhaps try to add more interest with graphical elements which match your film. Eg. dirt, rust or maybe even a symbolic object from the film. Just a suggestion but if you think this is stretching your technical limits, you'd be better off pouring your energy into making your film. If your intention is simply just to convey information, it works fine. If you want your website to market your film, please do something about the design. It will affect perception of the film.

My honest opinion and feedback as a part time web designer/developer.

For your reference, I helped a friend setup a website to showcase his film work a while back, you can check it out if you like. http://www.mettafilmworks.com.

Cheers.