Shooting visible breath

For an image film coming up we want to shoot a runner in a cold, arctic environment. CGI backgrounds inspired from the Caspar David Friedrich painting 'The Polar Sea'. The runner will be shot as bluescreen element.

What is the best way to achieve visible breath in a studio environment. Any tricks?

Or shoot the breath separately in a cold room in front of black and composite it in.

Many thanks.

Holger Seidel

Cinematographer/Berlin

Guest Sean Curt

better yet if there are overthe counter asthma pumps, buy one of those....I remember way back when I was younger I had a friend show me a neat trick when you pump the asthma pump in your mouth and blow it out..that might be he easiest way to similate a breathing

• Premium Member

Whether you shoot them against black (and comp them in) or on the set, you'd need a refridgerated set with the humidity raised. And the breath needs to be backlit as much as possible, like with a snooted Tweenie or Dedolight.

• Premium Member

Another way to increase effectiveness of breath is to have a hot drink for the subject to gulp before the shot. Works only for the first exhale or so but great for quick close-ups.

I managed to get a band into the back of a chilled van that usualy transported meat. Pretty horrific. One problem of note is that, when using Tungsten/HMI lights, you are going to be adding a lot of bulb heat. If your chilled stage is small then you may want to limit light units or consider low heat units like kinos. Otherwise your chiller turns to sauna. .

• 2 weeks later...