30" spec commercial, Athletes.com

I shot this with my Sony VX200 in the Santa Monica mountains.

The actual shoot took 45 minutes right before the sun went down.

Editing on FCP took 5 hrs. I could have done it in less time but I am still figuring out the program.

I was thinking of putting a voie over that says:

"When I was 17 I felt I could do anything..... That's funny, now at 47.... I feel the same way"

Athletes.com logo appears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JO4Aawp6XI

I'd love to get feedback. I'm a big boy, I can take it :)

Alex

www.alexardenti.com

• Premium Member

Some of your shots looked nice. It does have a very video quality to it (as per VX2000). I think it would have been nice to have a little more action going on in frame as opposed to trying to create a sense of action with fast editing. Also didn't care for the pic in pic edits. Not to be harsh, I'm just kind of burnt out on that style right now.

Some of your shots looked nice. It does have a very video quality to it (as per VX2000). I think it would have been nice to have a little more action going on in frame as opposed to trying to create a sense of action with fast editing. Also didn't care for the pic in pic edits. Not to be harsh, I'm just kind of burnt out on that style right now.

What's a "pic in pic edits"?

As far as quality, by posting it on You Tube it diminishes dramatically.

Viewed on an HD screen it looks like video but a good quality video at least.

I hear you concerning the action. Getting a 47 year old, non pro to do jumps and acrobatics would have been difficult.

I tried to make it as exciting as possible with the things he was able to do.

It could have gone the opposite way with him just preparing for his ride looking in the sunset etc.

Thanks for the input

Alex

not bad for a quick shoot and edit, would probably work if the buyer likes it. Personally I think it's too effect heavy, the color to black and white back to color, the pic in pic, the wide screen to non-widescreen, made me feel like you were relying on the "star fade" feature on lisa simpsons home movie editing kit. jk.

I would recut with no effects and see how you like it, you might be surprised.

kirk

not bad for a quick shoot and edit, would probably work if the buyer likes it. Personally I think it's too effect heavy, the color to black and white back to color, the pic in pic, the wide screen to non-widescreen, made me feel like you were relying on the "star fade" feature on lisa simpsons home movie editing kit. jk.

I would recut with no effects and see how you like it, you might be surprised.

kirk

Yeah, it was more of a test on how many FCP effects I can jam into 30"!

But hey, guess what?? The owner of that site has another site he wants me to do a spot for. He really liked it!

I just found out tonight.

Small budget but I'll do a much better job on this one. I'll actually take it seriously now that it's my first actual "commercial" :) even if they want it on mini dv :(

I figure that if they love the new one they will trust me to do a Tv spot on film.

Thanks

Alex

Guest LondonFilmMan

I ask myself whether this commercial moved me emotionally or had any 'memorable personality' to it, or whether or not the shots were anything other than ordinary and I would only find myself thinking 'not really'. All I remember of what I have just experienced is the music and something about bicycles....:(

Since the rider is 47 I'll ad a voice over. In the beginning of the spot:

"When I was 17 I felt I could do anything."

At the end of the spot:

"That's funny.... I feel the same today"

Athletes.com is a site that sells supplements that increase performance and overall health. Maybe that will drive the point home.