I returned the beaulieu

Victor Mejia

I am compelled to share this because I was so disappointed with ijm incorporated and would like for this post to serve as a caution for anyone out there looking to buy a refurbished beaulieu 4008 from them.

First of all, ijm incorporated is a business that claims to specialize in beaulieu super 8 cameras and elmo projectors. They?re based in Granada Hills, CA, and have a website (www.ijmincorporated.com). They sound great and maybe I just had bad luck with them. But here?s what happened: I bought a 4008 from ijm ($866 including tax). Sent them a check. They said it would be ready in 2-3 weeks. I waited over two months for the camera while they ?refurbished? it. I became suspicious and told them that if I didn?t have the camera by the end of the week, I?d demand my money back. The camera was ready at the end of the week. I went to pick it up. It looked great. Camera exterior was clean and it had a great battery pack that Irv claimed was good for about 24 carts?but I don?t know for sure since I never got to test it. The camera seemed to run smoothly and Irv gave me a basic run down of its functions. I noticed that one of the film speed settings was 25 fps. There was no 24fps. I pointed it out to Irv. I told him I wanted a 24fps camera. He said he could adjust it for $70. I told him I expected a 24fps camera for my $866 and wouldn?t pay it. He said, ?alright, I?ll fix it for free.? He said it would take a week to change the setting. A week later I called and asked about the status. He said it wasn?t done yet but that he would tell his shop guy to put a ?rush? on it. Another week and a half passed and it was ready. Irv suggested I not remove the lens or fool around with the camera settings too much but that I should shoot several rolls of reversal and ?get to know the camera? slowly. The camera looked great and sounded great. When I got home, however, I noticed the viewfinder was very foggy, but didn?t think much of it. I went to Spectra and bought a couple of rolls. I showed the Spectra guys my beaulieu. Told them I got it from Irv. They said they knew him and did business with him on occasion. I asked them if the foggy viewfinder was normal. The Spectra guy said no. He took a look at it. Agreed it was really foggy. He checked the ground glass, and it was filthy. I hadn?t checked it when I picked it up from Irv. I could barely see through the ground glass. Spectra guy removed the lens. He looked inside the body. It looked OK. He then looked inside the back of the lens. ?Oh that?s not good,? he said. ?That?s not good at all. Here look.? I looked. The damn thing was covered with scratches or yellow fungus. I couldn?t tell which. The Spectra guy thought it might be fungus. I called Irv. Told him there were problems with the camera. He was very defensive and rude. Said he didn?t know what I was talking about and that he checked the camera himself after the shop was done refurbishing it. I told him I didn?t understand how such glaring problems (filthy ground glass, damaged lens, foggy viewfinder) could have slipped by him and his shop guy who had supposedly refurbished it. He said to bring it in. So I did. He checked it while I waited and reluctantly agreed there were problems with it. He said it would take a week to fix. It sounded too familiar. At this point I doubted he?d even adjusted the film speed and wondered if there were other problems with the camera. I told him I wanted my money back. He was cool about that. He wrote me a check for $800?he said he couldn?t refund my the $66 in tax because ?it?s paid already.? He said he?d get the camera fixed and that he?d call me once it was ready if I were still interested in it. I said sure. Give me a call and I?ll let you know, I said. I took the check, deposited it immediately and didn?t look back.

Wow, sorry to hear that. To be honest, I don't understand why he kept the 66 bucks, but in the big picture, who cares? You got the 800 bucks back. That's what's important.

As for his business practices, well, you bought a product, you weren't happy, you got the money back (less the 66 bucks)so at least he did the right thing. Maybe this was just a one time thing.

As for buying the camera after it's fixed, I'm kinda torn. I can understand your reluctance, but at least this guy did make it right. I read alot of posts by people you have just gotten ripped off. The fact is, going after a dishonest merchant usually isn't worth the cost litigation and they know it.

Hopefully, others who have delat with this guy will post and you can get an idea if this problem is typical for this man.

Joe

I agree,

Good to hear that IJM admitted to the problems and gave you back $800.00. I would return at some point and see how he is progressing with the repairs - just because he did the right thing in the end.

Believe me, with ebay and others you would probably never get your money back!

Nice of Spectra to look over the camera for you as well. Sounds like they know cameras.

Yes, getting my money back (most of it anyway) was a relief. I'm not sure either if mine was a unique experience. Maybe 99% of his customers are happy and I just happen to be the 1%. But I was quite aggrivated. It just makes no sense that the camera was said to be refurbished yet the problems were so glaring. As for the $66 Irv did say he would apply this amount as credit to any super 8 camera I'd like to get serviced. So maybe he's honest and I just had bad luck. But I doubt I'll do business with him again.

• Premium Member

It makes me wonder about who is servicing Irv's camera more than Irv himself. If anyone out there is proficent in repairing cameras and projectors and lives in the Los Angeles area, maybe there is work to be had from Irv.

I don't know for sure but Irv might have a stash of spare parts so if someone out there is better than whom Irv is currently using for camera and projector repairs it might be worth contacting Irv and offering ones services.