black promist.

Alberto Díaz

Hi , I'm Alberto , a cinematography student from Spain. My English isn't good, so I beg you patience.

I'm going to be DP in a short that is going to be shooted in 16 mm Arri SR3 advanced in Madrid next Tuesday and Wednesday indoor . I have choose Kodak Vision2 500T 7218.

I'm going to use Tiffen filter Blackpromist and I have a doubt. Do I have to correct any stops with this filter on camera? I have rent 1/8, 1/4 and 1/2 Black promist. I've been searching on Internet but I haven`t found anything.

I would be very grateful if you help me asap!!!

All the best,

Alberto

• Premium Member

The simple thing is to just hold a filter over your light meter dome and see how much is lost -- probably less than 1/3 of a stop. I don't use Black ProMist much, but if I did, I would rate the film 1/3 of a stop slower to compensate, just in case.

Thank you again David !! I thought that way but i wasn't sure that it was reliable,. Now I'm sure.

If you come to Madrid ( Spain ), you can contact me if you need something. This is my email sinsemilla69@hotmail.com

All the best

Alberto

I forgot to answer this : I have rented 3 black promist : 1/8, 1/4 & 1/2. I think that I have to use 1/8 with tele lens, and 1/2 with angular lens. and 1/4 between them. Am I right ?

Please answer me before Tuesday.

Thank you all !!

Alberto

• Premium Member

Use whatever strengths you want. I base the heaviness of the filter more on the size of the subject in the frame than on the lens, unless it is a softer lens like a zoom, in which case I might back off, or if I am using the lens at a softer aperture, like wide-open, again, in which case I might back off.

There are two contradictory theories on diffusion: one is that the longer the lens, the lighter the diffusion. The other is that the tighter the shot (but often this is shot on the longer lenses) the heavier the diffusion. There is no right answer. The first theory is based on matching each lens in terms of sharpness; the second is based on the theory that tight shots need less detail than wide shots.

I tend to make the judgement more on how much softening I want each shot to have.