SR extension eyepiece question

Joe Farris

Hello all, I recently bought an Arri SRII Super 16 package (I haven't actually got it in my hands yet). I bought an extension eyepiece with the package but I was told that it will not cover super 16. I was told I would loose about 10%. Is there a way to modify it to make it cover super 16? I'm sure someone out in 16 land has run into this.

• Premium Member
Hello all, I recently bought an Arri SRII Super 16 package (I haven't actually got it in my hands yet). I bought an extension eyepiece with the package but I was told that it will not cover super 16. I was told I would loose about 10%. Is there a way to modify it to make it cover super 16? I'm sure someone out in 16 land has run into this.

Joe,

I've got an SR1 with that same extension and I was told there is no problem covering Super 16 with it. I have not had my camera converted yet, but when I asked around about it, I was told "No worries".

Maybe someone who actually has used it with a converted camera can verify that, but I don't see how it could be a problem because with the extension attached you still see the full fiber optics screen.

-Tim

• Premium Member

This issue is with the eyepiece not the extention. You need a wide angle eyepiece or you will have to move your eye around. I have both the regular SR and a wide angle eyepiece both work but the wide angle is more comfortable

I have a converted SR2 and an SR3 Advanced.

The SR2 has a wide angle eyepiece and an extension. The image looks exactly the same whether you have the extension on or not. When you first look through it, it is a bit troubling because you feel as though you can't see the entire image in one field of view. Your eye wants to move left to right to see all the edges. At first it really bothered me, but you actually do get used to it and don't notice it after a while. The SR3A has a much nicer viewing system...but the SR2 is plenty good.

Viewing system is one of the big things the new 416 improves.

Thanks for the info guys. It's good to hear I shouldn't have a problem. I'll take a look at it when it arrives in a week or so. I might look into the wide angle eyepiece though. Is that something I can just order?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys, Just thought I'd give you an update on my findings. I finally got the camera about a week and a half ago. I've had a little bit of time to play around with it. I'm not sure what the sales rep was talking about with the "you'll loose 10%" but Andy and Frank were dead on. It's a little difficult to see the very corners of the frame but moving your eye a bit seems to work. I'm going to look into a wide angle eye piece, I'm sure that will make things more comfortable.

It's nice to finally own a film camera!