Canon Auto Zoom 518 Questions and help

Turbe

I have no manual for the Canon Auto Zoom 518 so I wanted to ask a few questions to anyone familiar with this model... :)

There is a round knob on the same side that the film cartridge is loaded (marked: R . L)... The meter does not work on L, just curious what this knob is doing in the three positions.. ????

There is a switch on the hand grip (back) with a Sun (lower position) and Red Light Bulb (upper position).. I assume this is for the built in 85 filter (or is the filter engaged automatically with the proper film)???? I have Ektachrome 64T and have been told to use an external 85B filter and make sure the built-in filter is NOT in the light path when filming outdoors in Sun... Am I correct on this switch's function? Also, this is the case, what position would I need to have for filming outdoors with 64T (not sure if the switch changes the anything with exposure in the camera)....?

Thanks in advance

Shawn

• Premium Member
I have no manual for the Canon Auto Zoom 518 so I wanted to ask a few questions to anyone familiar with this model... :)

There is a round knob on the same side that the film cartridge is loaded (marked: R . L)... The meter does not work on L, just curious what this knob is doing in the three positions.. ????

There is a switch on the hand grip (back) with a Sun (lower position) and Red Light Bulb (upper position).. I assume this is for the built in 85 filter (or is the filter engaged automatically with the proper film)???? I have Ektachrome 64T and have been told to use an external 85B filter and make sure the built-in filter is NOT in the light path when filming outdoors in Sun... Am I correct on this switch's function? Also, this is the case, what position would I need to have for filming outdoors with 64T (not sure if the switch changes the anything with exposure in the camera)....?

Thanks in advance

Shawn

The R.L. is probably Run & Lock. You can lock the camera in the run position by turning the switch to the L position after having depressed the trigger. If you put dial in the L position when the camera is not running, I'll assume that means the camera is off and you won't be able to depress the trigger at all.

The 85B versus 85 filter is not necessarily a done deal. The in-camera filter is probably better than nothing. Make sure your filter is still functioning properly by shifting the sunlight utton on and off and seeing if the exposure meter, while in the auto mode, shifts 2/3's of a frame while keeping the frame identical.

Ultimately it would useful to do your own test between an external 85B filter and the internal filter.

My other question would be, with an external 85b filter on the lens, would I keep the switch in the indoor position or would the metering still be off (set to Auto Exposure)?

Shawn

Guest santo

No. If you're using the camera's meter, its TTL metering takes that into account. It only reads how much light makes it through the lens to the sensor when the internal meter is turned off (ie. indoor position).

There are three positions on the round knob (R, ., L).. I originally thought the same, but confused by the middle position...

Turbe, I have this camera and the manual. The middle "dot" setting between "R" and "L" on the shutter lock dial is the Running Lock. Alex almost had it right but not quite. To engage the running lock, set the dial to "dot" while depressing the trigger.

Tim

• Premium Member
Turbe, I have this camera and the manual. The middle "dot" setting between "R" and "L" on the shutter lock dial is the Running Lock. Alex almost had it right but not quite. To engage the running lock, set the dial to "dot" while depressing the trigger.

Tim

Shutter lock dial, can the camera's shutter angle be manually adjusted?