Shoulder Supports for Bolex Cameras

Bryan Darling

Hi, does anyone have recommendations on shoulder support or something similar for stabilizing a Bolex camera such as the H16. The problem I find today is that everything is designed for camcorders. I don't want to buy something that is designed for a camcorder that I can't try with my Bolex first, and in my area I'm not going to be able to try them out.

Additionally, I'm want to spend less than $500. I wouldn't mind putting something together myself. Just curious what other people are using and how they perform. This came about as I was shooting on our lightrail, same as SF's muni, or a lighter version of NYC's subway. All I had was the pistol grip and no matter how I tried to stabilize it with my body, it was very hard keeping steady as the train was moving. The pistol grip is not great as the weight is so awkardly placed on your wrist. I need something better designed for spreading the camera's weight so not to break my wrist carrying it all day.

Thanks.

Guest NCSProducts
Hi, does anyone have recommendations on shoulder support or something similar for stabilizing a Bolex camera such as the H16. The problem I find today is that everything is designed for camcorders. I don't want to buy something that is designed for a camcorder that I can't try with my Bolex first, and in my area I'm not going to be able to try them out.

steadibolex-1960.jpg

Some pipe and a few nuts & bolts is all it takes!

Well, you'll also need a cable release ("40") :D