Film Industries Outside the US

BHS

Hi,

I'm new here and not really sure as to where I would post a question like this but I was wondering if it would be any easier to get into the film industry in a country other than the US. I konw that here in the US there are tons of indie filmmakers all over the place trying to get a big break, I was wondering if its the same in other countries. Like would it be any easier to get a "big break" if I were to try to get involved in Asian or European cinema? I know this might sound like a wild idea but I it's something that I've really been wondering. Thanks.

• Premium Member
Hi,

I'm new here and not really sure as to where I would post a question like this but I was wondering if it would be any easier to get into the film industry in a country other than the US. I konw that here in the US there are tons of indie filmmakers all over the place trying to get a big break, I was wondering if its the same in other countries. Like would it be any easier to get a "big break" if I were to try to get involved in Asian or European cinema? I know this might sound like a wild idea but I it's something that I've really been wondering. Thanks.

Its a busy industry. I am not the best placed to tell you if any country is better than another because I only know my area.

To many of us in the UK, we only see the american film-makers who make it. We dont see the hundreds of indie filmmakers, slaving away. Ive got a few friends who think that going over to you will be easier that working here. Last year it was Sydney, next it may be Canada, and so on.

The grass is always greener.

What do the rest of you guys think?

Its a busy industry. I am not the best placed to tell you if any country is better than another because I only know my area.

To many of us in the UK, we only see the american film-makers who make it. We dont see the hundreds of indie filmmakers, slaving away. Ive got a few friends who think that going over to you will be easier that working here. Last year it was Sydney, next it may be Canada, and so on.

The grass is always greener.

What do the rest of you guys think? I think France Spain and Italy are doing pretty well . john holland .

What about the Japan, China and Korea areas? Are there many indie filmmakers there? Is it just as hard to get into the professional aspect?

• Premium Member

It's not easy anywhere. I actually think that the US is probably slightly easier, perhaps, than Europe. I base this on the many DP friends I have who have moved over to Los Angeles - they got onto bigger and better jobs much faster than I did here. Naturally, this could be talent.

I know some westerners who shoot tons of stuff in Asia and are very busy. I'd probably say that is an easier market to get into as a westerner. The problem is that the commercials one shoots there, often are not reel material and will not boost you in any other market. It sounds strange, but a DP needs good stories as much as he needs good lights - it really isn't all about the look if you to advance your career.

The UK is quite hard, but once you've cracked it, it's easy (like everywhere else). This is the film central of Europe and it is many times more Hollywood than Hollywood itself. I mean, if you do a list of big, big Hollywood movies over the last 40 years, you'll probably find that most of them were shot in London.

• Premium Member

Keep in mind that with all these locations you need to speak the local language if you want to get in. In some of these Asian countries that you mention very few people speak English.

• Premium Member

Hi,

On the contrary, I feel that it's difficult to say you've "cracked" the UK. It seems to be different elsewhere, but with so little going on it's easy to fall into a cycle of moving from client to client every six months or so and never really advancing.

Even given the amount of people working there, the work to people ratio is vastly higher in the US. I recently produced an independent short in LA, and was amazed by the ease and low cost with which everything was possible, and the professionalism of even inexperienced cast and crew. I felt well treated in a way I never have in London.

Phil

Have you guys forgotten about the biggest film industry of them all, Bollywood!

The Indian film industry is by far the biggest in the world, they crank out 800 feature films a year, that's double the amount of Hollywood!

A&E is running a one hour doc right now called, "Stuntmen Of Bollywood," if you happen to catch it it's worth a view, very interesting.

As for language...no problem they speak English on the set there. Provided you can speak English of course.

I really like their low budget approach to huge budget stunts, they can do amazing stuff for pennies compared to Hollywood. Of course there's no safety precautions for stuntment, and they make next to nothing, so that could be a minor issue :)

I've often thought if a white guy from Canada could DP or direct there for a few years? After all we have tens of thousands of Indians who move to Canada every year and work here, so why not one or two Canadians who go there to work?

Some how I doubt it works the other way around, but it sure looks like a neat industry there.

R,