Leica lenses on PL-mount ?

Bjorn Koling

We´re looking for a way to use old leica 35mm stillcamera lenses on an arri camera with PL-mount. So my question is if it exist an adapter from any leicamount, screw or bayo, to PL or maybe arri standardmount. Are there any cinelenses made with leica/leitz glass? thanks

I know there is a Hasselblad to PL. I'm looking for one to try out. Does anybody have experience with this. Hasselblad has soem really nice 150mm and 80mm lenses. They are a bit slow - but hey - it might be worth a shot. I got adapters to use my Hasselblad and Leica lenses on my Canon 10D.

• Premium Member

Both Technovision and Van Diemen have adapted Leica R optics for motion picure use. Panavision offer some with a PV mount as well. But all these lenses are completely rehoused, including a new mount. I've never heard of a PL adaptor for these lenses.

• Premium Member

Leica R and M lenses have a rear flange distance of 47mm (Leica R -Leica M even shorter). The flange distance on Arriflex cameras are 52mm.

Unless the back end of the lens is modified there is no PL to Leica R adaptor available with infinity focus.

The exception is for Leica Visoflex lenses. I have a custom made adaptor from Les Boscher in the UK and mount Leitz Visoflex lenses for MP use which are quite good.

• Premium Member

Generally speaking, no rangefinder still cameras generally have enough FFD. That's why they make them like that - by getting rid of the mirror they can put a smaller lens closer, which saves money and can provide faster lenses.