Super 8 or 16mm

Gary Lemson

Hello,

I am currently into HD, as I have the AG-HVX200. However, I want to do film. I?ve been looking into this for a few months. I really like the appearance of Super 8, it seems a little less expensive, and it looks like a good learning tool. However, 16mm certainly has its appeal, some cameras are in my price range, but I?m not sure if it?s the way to start.

Thanks.

• Premium Member
Hello,

I am currently into HD, as I have the AG-HVX200. However, I want to do film. I?ve been looking into this for a few months. I really like the appearance of Super 8, it seems a little less expensive, and it looks like a good learning tool. However, 16mm certainly has its appeal, some cameras are in my price range, but I?m not sure if it?s the way to start.

Thanks.

They're different beasts. Super 8 can be done with the best of the best equipment for quite reasonable prices. Super 16 pushes camera costs to at least 5 grand or so for a converted NPR. With super 8, however, you will never, ever reach the resolution of 16mm. The negative area is just too small. If you want to do lots of grainy stuff, go for it. If you want really nice pristine looking transfers to HD, super 8 is not the format. It's like comparing a 35mm point and shoot still camera with a good 4x5 camera and someone who knows how to use it, not even in the same league.

Edited by Christopher D. Keth

Okay. I do find the grainy look appealing.

What about S8 transfer to SD for braodcast? Any issues?

Also, what can you say about the learning curve of S8 vs 16mm?

Thanks again.

Hi;

Well if you shoot the neg stocks it's the same with more grain. I started with K40 S8 then went to 16 and super 16 but have recently really got back into S8 since it was revived by new stocks, I love the texture. I'd say look at the higher end cams Leicina etc as stability can be an issue, also manual ASA, however I really think well shot S8 neg stocks are more than a match for dv/hdv in terms of sheer quality.

Olly

Olly

Well if you shoot the neg stocks it's the same with more grain.

Hi;

Sorry, been on the happy juiice, it also of course does not have the resolving power of 16 but when I see it I just think so what, it's a beautiful way to record the world.

Olly