ARRI 16SR3 PITCH ADJUSTMENT

weiming

Hi,

according to the SR3 pdf manual: 'with the new pitch adjustment you can adjust the camera to optimise the running noise level when different types of film stock are used.'

what does adjusting the pitch physically change, that reduces the running noise level?

does using different film stocks in the SR3 create diferent noises/ noise levels?

Anybody have any idea?

weiming.

Actually, it's the angle (the pitch!) of the claw, not necessarily the depth. Because some stock might have a slight difference in the size or positioning of its perfs, you can adjust the pitch to compensate for this and reduce any noise that might occur as a result of the edge of the perf hitting the claw at an odd angle.

</geek>

I hope that helps. :-D

does using different film stocks in the SR3 create diferent noises/ noise levels?

Black&White stock is thinner than color stock, because it has less layers and that causes the camera to run a little noisier.

• Premium Member
Hi,

according to the SR3 pdf manual: 'with the new pitch adjustment you can adjust the camera to optimise the running noise level when different types of film stock are used.'

what does adjusting the pitch physically change, that reduces the running noise level?

Anybody have any idea?

weiming.

Hi,

FWIW the size of the perfs change as the cutter wears! Perfs cut at the start will be fractionally oversize and when the cutter is worn the perfs will be slightly undersize. The width of film also changes as I discovered in 1983 when some film kept jamming in the advance sprocket of an animation camera I owned. I had run about 250 400' rolls of stock with that camera. As the cutters wore the film got too wide!

Stephen

• Premium Member
Actually, it's the angle (the pitch!) of the claw, not necessarily the depth. Because some stock might have a slight difference in the size or positioning of its perfs, you can adjust the pitch to compensate for this and reduce any noise that might occur as a result of the edge of the perf hitting the claw at an odd angle.

</geek>

I hope that helps. :-D

Ding ding ding, we have a winner! There are a bunch of things that can cause raw stock to change size very slightly. Temperature, humidity, when in the run your roll was cut all affect the size and spacing of the perfs. The pitch adjustment is to help the camera run the quietest it can possibly run by adjusting for these minute changes in raw stock.

okok

i understand clearly now. Thanks all for replying.

hmm, but something just occured to me. won't that mean that u have to roll the camera with film stock inside before u could adjust the pitch? in the process u could lose about 5-10secs of film, depending on how long u take to adjust...

guess it's supposed to be done sparingly.

• Premium Member
okok

i understand clearly now. Thanks all for replying.

hmm, but something just occured to me. won't that mean that u have to roll the camera with film stock inside before u could adjust the pitch? in the process u could lose about 5-10secs of film, depending on how long u take to adjust...

Hi,

You do have to run the camera to adjust for the pitch!

Stephen

• Premium Member

You can do it in prep with a dummy roll, but when you're on set and you adjust it you're going to have to waste a little film.

• Premium Member

Note that when someone has perf related problems, one should check that they were properly manufactured...

Sometimes, they are not just in a line and not at the good edge distance.

If you take a 2' length of film, fold it in 2 as to superpose the 2 1' lengths and check the perfs are perfectly at the same position...

THat happened to me with Fuji stock. It causes a bad registration pin test.