New HD camera format

Michael Nash

Oh joy.

It seems like AVCHD is being geared toward consumer markets, but there's been talk at NAB that Panasonic will include a higher end version of H.264 recording in the next generation of HVX cameras.

Now it's time for all the NLE companies to play catch-up! ....again!

• 2 weeks later...

I was just reading an article about AVCHD. It appears to be an i-frame codec and not a long GOP like HDV. This may be the reason why Panasonic did not want in on HDV. AVCHD will record at 18Mbps, support true 24P, and record Dolby Digital AC3.

Of course this is likely to be touted as the new greatest thing in prosumer cameras.

Both Panasonic and Sony are members of the Blu-ray consortium. Sony has said it will release Blu-ray consumer cameras when it becomes affordable, and that AVCHD will live along with Blu-ray. Its likely AVCHD is a stop-gap until Blu-ray becomes available. What happens with HDV, does Sony continue to support it?

Sony will go from HDV, to AVCHD, to Blu-ray.

This is one of the reason why I don't rush to buy a prosumer camera, every year they come out with the newest best thing. People keep buying these new cameras and decks thinking they are the newest and best, to soon be replaced by something even newer and better.