Fluorescents for B&W

Is it a bad idea to use fluorescents when shooting on B&W Reversal...or B&W in general?

Thanks

Kevin

i shot black and white reversal film (tri x) that was completely lit with sodium vapour lights, and it worked quite well.

just be carefull with the flicker rates for certain framerates.

just wondering and i hope this is not too stupid to ask, does color temperature matter when you shoot b&w or intend to modify your picture into b&w in telecine ? not really i would assume ?

Edited by Dmuench

does color temperature matter when you shoot b&w

absolutely. aside from the fact that the film is more sensitive to daylight you'll also get different tonality, especially in faces and foliage, and especially with partial spectrum sources like sodium lights. but if you mean whether it's a problem to mix, then no. go right ahead.

/matt

absolutely. aside from the fact that the film is more sensitive to daylight you'll also get different tonality, especially in faces and foliage, and especially with partial spectrum sources like sodium lights. but if you mean whether it's a problem to mix, then no. go right ahead.

/matt

interesting, thanks for that, so you would recommend shooting with daylight film ? or what would be best when shooting people in b&w ?

interesting, thanks for that, so you would recommend shooting with daylight film ? or what would be best when shooting people in b&w ?

well, i'd say for a neutral tonality you should shoot with the correct balance for your lighting. or as correct as possible if you're mixing light. i usually shoot black and white when i want black and white though.

/matt