Green Day-boulevard of broken dreams

F Bulgarelli

Hello,

Does anyone have any technical info on this music video.

especifically, the dirt/scratch effect. Was that done in post? It looks pretty organic to me.

I was thinking that a way to do it could be, to take 400ft of unexposed film and run in spools in a darks room, create all kinds of intentional scratches, dirt, flashes, etc, then develop the film and in post, layered it with the footage of the band.

Or I guess, I could strike a print of the bands footage and just mess it all up.

any ideas?

Thanks

Francisco

hi

there was a making of the video on mtv a year ago and it was so funny because the director (dont remember the name) achieved that effect tampering the exposed film with a black marker, cigarette ends and all sorts of things. it was amazing to watch

Thanks guys.

I'm wondering if he used a print or the actual negative.

I just popped on to YouTube and watched part of the video, trying to find an answer to your question. My guess is that he did it on a print because of certain shots where there was obvious chroma key work, though the scratches span each layer (i.e. the band in the foreground and the changing backgrounds) without break and are consistent even when the background changes. Either way, very cool video.

Peace,

-Harry

My guess is that he did it on a print because of certain shots where there was obvious chroma key work, though the scratches span each layer (i.e. the band in the foreground and the changing backgrounds) without break and are consistent even when the background changes. Either way, very cool video.

Peace,

-Harry

Actually the was no greenscreen involved in that show, the backgrounds were all rear-projected.

J

Yes, i remember the making of it on MTV.

The director - Sam Bayer.

He started doing it, scratching, burning with cigarette,

i think he spilled coffe on it too, and said:

"I dear any director to do that!"

Hehe :)

Now was on the negative or was it on a print?....

Can't remember. I thing it may be on the print.

I think i saw a lightbox and magnifying glass there.

Anyway, a great article, interview with Sam Bayer on Kodak's site"

Sam Bayer Interview by Kodak

If the above does not look like a clickable link,

(i am experiencing problems with the "Insert Link" tool. Anybody else? i Started a topic on this in

Forum Support & Announcements) here is plain text link:

http://www.kodak.com/US/plugins/acrobat/en...s/sbayer904.pdf

BTW, do you know what his first music video was?

Excerpt from the artivcle:

"BAYER: I didn't have any money when I came to Los Angeles in 1991. I knew one person at a record

company. I showed them this horrible, very pretentious, artsy reel that I had put together and I said, 'I really

wanted to direct a music video.' One person took pity on me and said, 'We've got this new band called

Nirvana. We are looking for a director and I like your attitude.' That was the first music video I directed. It is

called Smells Like a Teen Spirit. It won the MTV Award that year, and it became one of the top-rated music

videos of all time. (Editor's note: In 1998, is was chosen as the best MTV music video of all-time.)"

B)

Regards

Igor Trajkovski

Actually the was no greenscreen involved in that show, the backgrounds were all rear-projected.

J

Oh my gosh...that's even cooler. I love people who go back to old school methods and make it work so dang well. Kudos to everyone involved on this production. And thanks for telling me J, I appreciate it.

Peace,

-Harry