SRII vs. Eclair NPR

Chris_Burket

Just wondering if anyone has shot with both these cameras and if you could give me a breakdown of some of the differences. Do you think either one has an edge on the other? I have shot with the SRII and I'm thinking about purchasing an NPR as my first film camera. Having only used the SRII, I'm looking for suggestions.

Won't both produce the same image, if they have the same glass and the same lighting setup in front of them? I have always thought the glass and lighting were much more important than the camera, but correct me if I'm wrong.

How quiet is the NPR (providing its properly serviced)?

Optical Electro House does a lot of modifications for NPR's. Has anyone used them for service, mods repairs? They sound like a good facility....

The SRII is much quieter than the NPR. Arri accessories are better engineered. PL mount will allow the use better glass than any lenses designed for the NPR.

If you've used an SRII, why not rent an NPR and see what it is all about before making the investment.

While it is true that lenses are the key element to a camera package, a well maintained camera (and mags) are also very important.

An SRII will be a substantially bigger investment but is in a different league.

Your talking about two totally different leagues of cameras...

One costing above $12K (at the low-end) and the other below $4K.

Alain

Alain is 100% right, in that case I vote NPR which is better

more stable and sturdier,

murthy

The npr has a very own shape. The camera sits quiet high over the trypot-plate, not very shake-proof, for example on a car-rig. The npr has a C-Mount, good for ultra-low-cost-lenses. The original cameflex-mount is a hassle, it's hard to find anything else than the unpopular angenieux zoom for this mount, there are some kinoptik primes but hard to find and often in bad condition. The original viewfinder (Kinoptik) is crap, if you orientate it, the image turns around. The Groundglass is not very bright. Without PL-Mount conversion it's hard to find good glass for it. The early nprs had no cristal-sync motor. Yes it's noisy. With a barney it's still possible to shoot indoor dialogue...

recently I shot someting with a SRI and it was like changing from a 2CV to a Mercedes, the SRI ran smooth, very silent. The Arri SR's seem way more solid. The mechanisme that connects the mag to the body seems much better on a SR. A mag of my NPR sits a little loose it produces steadyness problems.

The NPR is a nice low-cost camera, got mine for free. I had good fun to experiment with c-mount lenses or slr-lenses with c-mount adapter. The camera-options depend a lot on the motor.

http://members.aol.com/npr16mm/motors.htm

cheers, bernhard

• 3 weeks later...