"DeadPixels" with SLS Board and HDW 750!

Emanuel Schwermer, bvk

Hi guys,

I checked out a HD Equipment today, HDW 750 (latest version and software), DigiPrimes, Panasonic HD LCD´s and so on.

The 750 had a DownCon, LoopRec and a SlowShutterBoard (SLS) integrated.

I´m not going to use the SLS Board on this shoot, but I checked it out.

Once I was activating the SLS board I saw a couple of "dead pixels" (drop outs) - I saw star wars (-;

I did before a enhanced automatic black level (balance) adjustment, with the SLS board not activated.

This is what you regular do, to eliminate "dead pixels", right?

Without the activated SLS board everything was fine - and without any "dead pixel".

Once the SLS Board was activated the "dead pixel compensation" seemed to be without any effect - star wars again.

I activated the enhanced black balance (holding the automatic black balance switch down for 30 sec´s or so), during the SLS board was activated - surprise - the HDW 750 started to eliminate the dead pixels while the SLS board was activated - took a while (more than 5 minutes)

BUT:!

The ABB function was not eliminating the dead pixels at the "speed" of 32 and 64 (Sony Style terms for what ever - simulating undercrancking).

So, at all the "SonyStyleSpeeds" like 2F, 4F and so on (what does definitely not refer to 2fps, 4fps and so on) it was fine with eliminated dead pixels, but the 32F and the 64F function was full with this dead pixels - star wars again!

Also after doing the "enhanced" ABB about five times (sometimes it takes a while and a couple of times doing ABB to eliminate a dead pixel) it seemed like this dead pixel elimination is just effecting the SSL board up to the SSL board function of 16F - from 32F on, I saw all the murdered pixels on this chip!

(OK, don´t let us start a discussion @ this point about SunWinds, GammaRay´s and shipping a VideoCamera in an AirPlane - we all know this case.)

Do you think it is just a "bug" on this camera body or software (or EPROM in Arri Language), or on all HDW 750´s?

I will do a test soon with 3 or more 750`s with the integrated SLS Board.

For me - after a long time working with HD Cam´s - this is a quiet interesting topic!

What you guys are thinking?

Cheers,

Emanuel

Emanuel Maximilian Schwermer, bvk

1st AC - DIT - Operator

Adelheidstr. 7

80798 München

Bavaria

Germany

fon. +49 - (0)89 - 347 214

fax. +49 - (0)89 - 288 049 31

cell. +49 - (0)172 - 86 12 942

mail. mail@firstcamera.de

net. www.firstcamera.de

• Premium Member

I know there are "tricks" to hide the dead pixels, but a dead pixel is a dead pixel...

I would better obtain from the rental house that they give me a camera that is in the best conditions, without dead pixels...

• 5 years later...

Hi everyone,

With HDW 750 you can make a hidden menu pop up to delete dead pixels definitely. The procedure's quite easy and you can do it yourself camera tech tips (pix compensation topic)

You can also actually fix dead pixels by performing 3 times a black balance, but you have to be careful with that "trick" because even if it will do the job at first, the trick is limited to only a dozen times... (Sony's not silly ;) )

Sincerly

Gj