PD 170 filming in progressive scan mode?? How & why?

HI,

I recently shot a short on a PD 170 - it was my first time using the camera. I did some tests as to shutter speed etc...and got something I was happy with, however I've heard alot about using this camera in progressive mode but when I checked out the manual it suggested only shooting in progressive if you want still shots etc...as the image would be blurred otherwise, I'm a bit confused as to what this is all about, I understand the basics of Progressive scanning, but not sure how to use or manipulate it?? I'd like to try it out next time I shoot, which should be in a few weeks.

Can someone please explain how to set up the cam, why & when I would want to use it and any tests I should do before I commit myself to Progressive scan.

Thanks,

Jac

• Premium Member

This camera does not shoot progressive-scan at "normal" speeds like 24 or 30 fps. It was designed as a 60i camera to record to 60i, so in progressive-scan mode it drops to half-speed to deal with the data rate (to keep it the same), I assume that's one reason, so it's something like 15 fps recorded to 60i. Not meant to be used for shooting live-action.

Hi, the PD170 doesn't have progressive scanning CCD's so the 'film style' look is derived from a rough de-interlace, not a pleasing look (jaggies) on the PD but you can just about get away with it on the Z1 in HDV mode because of the extra res when shooting in HD.

Nick