Which camera would YOU choose to shoot with?

Dan Adlerstein

Ok, assume the following are the parameters/restrictions/nature of your shoot ....

You will be shooting a 20-30 min. short film over the course of one week on the Greek island of Ios. Almost all of the film will be daytime exteriors around a secluded classic Greek white home on the beach. There will be no dialogue. There will be a lot of movement (dance) by the characters. You will have no true camera assistant. Your lighting control will consist only of planning out where and when to shoot based on the location of the sun, and possibly some homemade bounces, flags, and diffusion (think bed sheets and shower curtains). You will not have access to electricity most of the day. The budget is obviously modest.

Now, assume you want the following asthetic ...

You want it to be 16X9. You want to embrace the contrast to an extant but want to be able to read both the faces and the background lanscape when backlit by the sun (sure, you can use low-con or ultra-con filters). You want the character movement to appear dynamic. You want high textural detail. You want saturated colors -- especially in the blues.

hopefully this is enough detail for you to choose a camera you would prefer to shoot this on.

I've done my research on all the cameras listed in the topic description. Not suprisingly, none of them seem to me to be PERFECT for this. They all have their benefits and drawbacks. I think I'm close to a decision on one of them, but curious to see what you all out there would choose and WHY!!

Could make for some interesting debate as all of these cameras seem to better suited for various situations.

So, which would it be for THIS situation.

Thanks!!!!!

-Dan post-6440-1149303067.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

If you want dynamic movement go with the Panasonic HVX200. This camera can shoot high definition 720p at 60 frames per second for the very best temporal resolution. If you want to go with JVC you have to wait for the JVC GY-HD200 model to ship which will be in October.

• 1 year later...