AC Back issues

Lon Parker

Hello every-one. I have a collection of excellent condition American Cinematographer mags. Many rare and out of print, most years with all issues, some doubled, 90% complete from 1967 to 1997. I was director on a workout dvd shoot in a former production studio slated for demo and came across this cache. Some went back to the fifties but were in terrible condition. All the ones I have are in great shape. Would like to know if anyone has any ideas of the best way to redirect this valuable resource.

Lon in Calgary.

Filip:

I have over 400 issues many considered rare by AC with a charge of $75.00 for reprinted articles from out of print issues. I want to move all issues at once so I would expect $3000.00 USD for the lot plus shipping which would have to be calculated. Gross weight is somewhere in the neiborhood of 250 - 300 lbs. If you are interested I can send you a complete list of all the mags. Get back to me soon.

Lon in Calgary

• Premium Member

I bought most of my 1970's issues back at the Movie City bookstore in Glendale near the Media Center Mall. They charged me about $5 per issue; I bought about 70% of them, which is all I wanted. I pretty much cleaned them out of the more interesting issues, so now if you go through their bins, you'll mostly find four copies of the same few issues per year, the less-interesting issues...

Some antique stores actually sell them, but at much higher prices. But I buy things to READ them, repeatedly, not collect them.

David Mullen ASC:

Thanks for the reply. It was actually my intention to offer the AC's to a bookstore in L.A. as I figured they would be the most interested. Also I set my price at about $5 an issue with a little added for the more interesting and rare issues. Would you have an e-mail or web address for the Movie City bookstore in Glendale? I would appreciate it.

Filip: lofl!!! You asked me for a price and I gave you one. Are you interested or not? Couldn't tell from the vagueness of your reply. If you think that the price is exhorbitant maybe you do not understand the value of this resource.

Lon in Calgary

• Premium Member

There are a few "famous" issues that are worth more, mainly the famous sci-fi blockbusters -- for example, the only important 1970's issue I am missing is the one for "Star Wars", which often sells as a collector's item at science fiction conventions, maybe for $20. A little less valuable are the ones for "Close Encounters", "Alien", and "Empire Strikes Back", which I have. But other than those, most people won't pay more than $5 an issue.

You may have some luck selling the collection on Ebay...

Somebody gave me the star wars issue, but I'm not selling. Anyway, I bought 1993 to 2004 for $250 on ebay last year, which also included a bunch of ICGs and Australian Cinematographers. Someone gave me a bunch of issues older than that. I think your price is a bit high. Maybe $1000. I might be interested if the price came down some, although I have a lot of the issues. I need the top gun issue. How did they shoot that volleyball scene...?

To Lostlog0: Seems like $1000.00 is about what other sources are telling me they are worth. An estimated shipping to L.A. as an example comes in at around $300.00 which I would be willing to split.

If anyone woulkd like a full listing of the issues let me know.

Lon in Calgary.