Is MiniDV to Super 16mm possible?

Isaac Chung

In mixed media productions where DI is not an option, is it possible to transfer mini-DV to Super 16mm negative for inclusion in the AB roll? Please let me know what the options are for mixing in a 5% DV and 95% Super 16 production. Thanks,

Isaac

• Premium Member
In mixed media productions where DI is not an option, is it possible to transfer mini-DV to Super 16mm negative for inclusion in the AB roll? Please let me know what the options are for mixing in a 5% DV and 95% Super 16 production. Thanks,

Isaac

Correct me if I'm wrong everyone but isn't super 16 just the gate size?

• Premium Member

It requires you use single-perf 16mm filmstock to fit the extended gate's image onto the film.

The old EBR "Image Transform" device went to 16mm b&w separations from NTSC. There might be some kinescope companies that will transfer video to 16mm, maybe Super-16. There are a few companies that advertize video-to-16mm:

http://www.blackandwhitefilmfactory.com/vi...%20transfer.htm

DV.Film in Texas might do it.

http://www.dvfilm.com/

Most places with film recorders like a Celco or Arrilaser would probably recommend you transfer the DV to 35mm and then make an optical printer dupe to Super-16 as needed.

Since Super-16 is not intended as an end destination, but is meant either to be transferred to video or blown-up to 35mm, your best bet is to leave the DV footage in video until after the Super-16 project has been blown-up to 35mm (even if done optically), and then splice in the DV-to-35mm material into the 35mm IN.

I'm confused, how are you planning on presenting this. You say 95% super-16, so I assume you will be projecting it for a large audience, if you do it on film are you going down to a matted 16 frame or are you blowing up to a 35mm frame? Or are you telecining the whole thing and presenting it on tape?