film speeds

F Bulgarelli

Hello everyone,

I wanted to see some samples of footage shot at slow speeds and then played back at 24fps.

i.e. 1fps/3fps/6fps

I want to do a shot of a road and i want it to look REALLY sped up.

Does anyone have any references?

Thanks a lot,

Francisco

• Premium Member

An easy way to preview this effect is with an NLE, speeding up the footage the appropriate percentage. The motion blur is of course different, but you'll get an idea of what it looks like. You could also try some undercrank tests with something like the HVX-200.

1 fps borders on time lapse. 3fps is pretty quick; 6 tends to look really fast. But it also depends on the framing of the shot and what movement is visible.

FWIW, I would plan on bracketing the frame rates for a shot like this anyway. It's not like you're burning much film at 1fps!

An easy way to preview this effect is with an NLE, speeding up the footage the appropriate percentage. The motion blur is of course different, but you'll get an idea of what it looks like. You could also try some undercrank tests with something like the HVX-200.

1 fps borders on time lapse. 3fps is pretty quick; 6 tends to look really fast. But it also depends on the framing of the shot and what movement is visible.

FWIW, I would plan on bracketing the frame rates for a shot like this anyway. It's not like you're burning much film at 1fps!

That's a good point.

Thanks