B&W- Setting the right ASA

Imagine this, You are in a building which is lit by sunlight from the outside through windows. Do I set the the film speed as outdoors or indoors. I assume that I should set it as out doors since it is sunlight we're talking about but I want to make sure not to make a mistake after all its my first short film.

here's a shot of the set:

020202-uppsala-university-mainbuilding-large.jpg

//Jan

• Premium Member

If the light source is unfiltered daylight, treat it as daylight. Compared to tungsten light, daylight has more energy in the blue portion of the spectrum. Be careful, as some energy-efficient windows may be "tinted" and have some coloration.

Most panchromatic B&W camera films have a bit more sensitivity in the blue portion of the spectrum than the red. So a blue-rich daylight source is a bit more effective in exposing the film, and the film exposure index for daylight illumination is about 1/3 stop faster.

• Premium Member

Yes, in daylight color balance, whether indoors or outdoors, use the daylight ASA rating.

However, note that there is only a 1/3-stop difference between that and the tungsten rating, so it's not the end of the world if you use that rating instead. I also use the tungsten rating when adding any orange-to-red filters, since now the light hitting the film is at that spectrum.