Toiletpaper shot in Smashing Pumpkins video 1979

Alex Wuijts

There is a shot in the Smashing Pumpkins video 1979 of which i've always wondered how they did it. I've asked it a couple of times, but never got a straight answer, so here it goes again.

The shot where you see a roll of toiletpaper fly up a tree, but the camera stays in front of the roll, and it seems to spin around freely.

My guess is they attached the toiletpaper to a crane and removed the rig later on, but what the heck do i know.

Anyone here that can solve this ongoing mystery for me? Thank you in advance.

• Premium Member

If I'm not mistaken they shot that entire video with "lipstick" cameras, which are small and light enough to be mounted almost anywhere. They could have used any number of rigs to mount the TP in front of the camera, and to "fly" the camera.

If I'm not mistaken they shot that entire video with "lipstick" cameras, which are small and light enough to be mounted almost anywhere. They could have used any number of rigs to mount the TP in front of the camera, and to "fly" the camera.

Yeah, IIRC, it was sorta like this - cheap video cameras mounted on a wire through the rolls, then the kids just threw them! Nothing that complex, actually. If you freeze frame the video at the right point (tough, since it's a night shoot), you should be able to see the roll "mount". :D