Production Vocabulary

Guest Patrick T King

Boom mic poking into frame - "Dick shot"

I remember a production tutor at college telling everyone this; we were all cringing...

Don't know if anyone else can explain this better, but I've sometimes heard the expression, "We'll just 'Hollywood' it"......e.g. a grip just holding a flag / net instead of attaching it to a C-stand. I could be wrong, but I've heard this expression several times before, maybe it's a Canadian thing!

Edited by Kevin Desson

Guest Paul Wizikowski

Here's a couple i've heard in the middle of nowhere, Oklahoma. An Apple Box has three ways of laying down. If its laying on its largest side and therefore is in its shortest position you call it a "Navada". If its laying on its long thin side and therefore is in its medium height position you call it a "California". And if its laying on its end and therefore in its tallest position you call it "New York".

Another thing is when someone is in the frame and you want them out so you can see the shot you tell them they have a "phone call". As in "Jim, phone call".

Adding to the mix here's a comment thats been picked up. When a rehearsal goes perfect someone often comments "Choulda Chot it".

Guest Paul Wizikowski
Boy, ain't it. What ch'all doin' up in T-Town?

Oh, a handfull of music videos, short films...have a look see www.steelehouse.com

How about yourself? Soonercity keeping you busy?

• Premium Member
Oh, a handfull of music videos, short films...have a look see www.steelehouse.com

How about yourself? Soonercity keeping you busy?

I've been working on getting back into film, much doc/ethnographic experience in the '70's but much more interested in a couple of short narrative projects now. Any advice on rental houses around here? I've built up a small kit (Arri 2A/C) for myself but don't want to have to buy or improvise everything.

but I've sometimes heard the expression, "We'll just 'Hollywood' it".....

E.G. a grip just holding a flag/net instead of attaching it to a C-stand.

I could be wrong, but I've heard this expression several times before, maybe it's a Canadian thing!

Actually that's a very common term here in the East Coast...

I figure they use it out West also in 'Hollywood'...

kinda interesting doncha think

I don't know it's etymology...but I figure it orignates some where in Hollywood. :)

Guest Paul Wizikowski
I've been working on getting back into film, much doc/ethnographic experience in the '70's but much more interested in a couple of short narrative projects now. Any advice on rental houses around here? I've built up a small kit (Arri 2A/C) for myself but don't want to have to buy or improvise everything.

I can tell you all about Tulsa gear but unfortunatly not much beyond that. As for camera packages, its almost always brought in from out of state. Usually MP&E (for HD), or MPS (for film) in Dallas. That said there are plenty of people with their own Arri SR2 or Aaton QTR and accessories for 16mm shoots. Otherwise its from big houses like Panavision or AbleCine. There are two big grip companies New Millenium Productions (all Arri) and Bulldog Productions (all Mole). Each of them have studio space. If you are interested in any info beyond that let me know. Being such a smaller market its safe to say I have worked with practically all the crew and companies in town.

• Premium Member
Actually that's a very common term here in the East Coast...

I figure they use it out West also in 'Hollywood'...

I use the term quite a lot here in Los Angeles, but I started on the east coast, so maybe that's where I got it. I'm trying to think of how many times I've heard it out here, and I don't think I've heard it as much out here as I did back in Florida.

For apple box height I always use 1,2, and 3....3 being the highest. As in, "Can I get an apple box to sit on? On it's #3 please." I'm not sure where I got that. Probably also the east coast.