DV's viewfinder as monitor?

Daniel Tan

Hey,

I shot a very low budget 16mm film and has transfered the footages to DV. I heard that the viewfinder in a DV camera can closely resemble a calibrated monitor. I am now in my post production phase doing color correction in final cut pro, and I do not have the means to get a pro monitor for reference to my work. So the question would be, can the viewfinder in a DV camera works as a good reference for color, brightness etc. I am using the 24P DV camera.

Any advises is good.

Thank you

• Premium Member

Hi,

No. If it's an LCD viewfinder, which it probably is, it's very low resolution, and has high saturation with crushed blacks. A black and white CRT would clearly be no good, and I've never heard of a DV camcorder with a built in colour CRT - even if such a device wouldn't have extremely low resolution at that physical scale.

Where did you hear this?

Phil

Hey Phil,

I heard it from a friend of mine regarding about the DV viewfinder being close to broadcast quality in terms of color, brightness, contrast. but now that you clarified everything up, I got a reason to dismiss him.

Anyway, looks like I have to find ways to get my hands on a broadcast monitor in order to do my work...

Thanks.