HDCAM as a DI

Hi,

I´ll be shooting a s16 documentary that will work mainly on TV but needs a 35mm copy.

I though about using HDCAM as a digital intermediate.

Any thoughs about it?

I read "the cell" had a HD intermediate instead of a 2K.

Any advise will be helpful.

Thanks,

Fulgencio

• Premium Member

"City of God" used HDCAM as an intermediate. For a S16 TV documentary, the quality might be OK even for a film-out but it is a loss of quality compared to a straight optical blow-up or better HD and data formats. If possible, you'd be better off with 4:2:2 HD-D5 or 4:4:4 HDCAM-SR.

HDCAM is 3:1:1, 1440 x 1080 pixels, and rather compressed.

"The Cell" used HD-D6 Voodoo (uncompressed, 4:2:2 I think) as an intermediate for the dream sequences, output to 35mm anamorphic. The non-efx sequences were shot in S35, blown-up to 35mm anamorphic thru an IP/IN, intercut with the efx IN, and then an IP and IN were made for release prints, so the non-efx footage went thru several generations, which is why the HD dream sequences did not look bad in comparison.

Hi David,

Thanks for the info.

I did a web search for HD recorder i could rent in Spain and found some hdcam, but no d5 or hdcam-sr.

I can rent a hdcam recorder for nearly the same cost of a Digibeta.

Are there any portable, rentable recorder for does formats?

Is hdcam-sr the best for it´s 4:4:4? better than D6?

Thanks

• Premium Member

D6 Voodoo is rare and expensive and does not record uncompressed HD in real time but something like half-speed. HDCAM-SR is brand new and therefore also rare.

HDCAM and HD-D5 are the two most common post production HD deck formats. HDCAM and DVCPRO-HD are the most common HD camcorder and portable field deck formats.