Best way to get 16mm optic on a c mount cam ( converter)

ecozyz

Been surfing like a madmann the last couple of days..

Reason why, is that I would like to get a ( around) 16mm optic on my a-cam, that has a c mount.

And after 1000 ebay pages etc, I seem to find, that there are NO ( good) old optics in that "area" ( 15-20mm) with a c-mount.

So I guess I have to go for a ??->c mount.. ( converter)

But what way to go??

Guess im ready to pay for a "older" zeiss ( not the fastest, but pretty fast), but they come in "many mounts"..

eg "bayo", arri "standart" , eclair Aton etc... and I think many others..

Have seen the optex page, so I know the converters are out there, and the optics, too..

now I justy need your help..

Guest Ian Marks
And after 1000 ebay pages etc, I seem to find, that there are NO ( good) old optics in that "area" ( 15-20mm) with a c-mount.

I don't see what the problem is. There are plenty of good C-mount lenses available in the focal length range you desire. Just because you didn't see what you wanted in two days of surfing Ebay doesn't mean they don't exist. For my money, I'd go for either a 15mm Angenieux or a 16mm Switar. There. Problem solved.

Angenieux or Schneider C-mounts go for pea-nuts on ebay. I got a Angenieux 25mm 1.4 for 35$, a Scheider 16mm Xenon for 20$, they're ok stopped down...

For Switars watch out not to get the RX-ones; they're designed for Bolex Reflex Cameras...

since the idea of a a-cam is to have someting compact, c-mount lenses make sense, there arent to many options between 15mm and 20mm usualy you find 10mm, 16mm and 25mm...

You can get C-mount adapters for SLR-Lenses(Nikon,Canon,Minolta,M42 etc) but I think this makes only sense for longer (Tele) focals, 50mm+

cheers, Bernhard

I don't see what the problem is. There are plenty of good C-mount lenses available in the focal length range you desire. Just because you didn't see what you wanted in two days of surfing Ebay doesn't mean they don't exist. For my money, I'd go for either a 15mm Angenieux or a 16mm Switar. There. Problem solved.

tnx for answering.

Decided to go for Arri Standart mounts, since there are quite a few fast zeiss and other optics with that mount, you can by rather cheap. ( or that i can borrow from freinds)

Before that decition, I was on my way to go for the 16mm Switar..

Just got a little confused with the preset and the many reflex/non reflex discussions youo see on the web..

Now I just need the converter from arri standard mount to C mount..

Guess I will find that one on Ebay, or as new in UK ( optex or Les Bosher)

• Premium Member

Tom,

How do you plan to compose your shots? Is your a-cam converted to reflex? I have a c-mount 17 -68 Angeniuex lens with a reflex view tube that I have been wanting to test on an a-cam.

Steve

Guest Ian Marks
Tom,

How do you plan to compose your shots? Is your a-cam converted to reflex? I have a c-mount 17 -68 Angeniuex lens with a reflex view tube that I have been wanting to test on an a-cam.

Steve

Adding an Arri-to-C mount adapter in order to use an Arri-mount seems, IMHO, out of step with the whole A-cam philosophy of small size, low price, and easy handling. It's also unnecessary, given all of the good C-mount lenses out there at reasonable prices. (BTW, a Les Bosher-made adapter isn't going to be cheap.) It would be different if you already owned a set of Zeiss superspeeds and wanted to have the option of using them with your A-cam.

Steve Hyde raises a good point too - your A-cam is basically a "helmet cam" with no reflex viewing. I think his Angenieux would probably work well on an A-cam (I believe it will cover Super 16), albeit with lower performance than a Zeiss. Ditto for the old 17-85 Pan-Cinors with built-in finders.

• Premium Member
Adding an Arri-to-C mount adapter in order to use an Arri-mount seems, IMHO, out of step with the whole A-cam philosophy of small size, low price, and easy handling. It's also unnecessary, given all of the good C-mount lenses out there at reasonable prices. (BTW, a Les Bosher-made adapter isn't going to be cheap.) It would be different if you already owned a set of Zeiss superspeeds and wanted to have the option of using them with your A-cam.

Steve Hyde raises a good point too - your A-cam is basically a "helmet cam" with no reflex viewing. I think his Angenieux would probably work well on an A-cam (I believe it will cover Super 16), albeit with lower performance than a Zeiss. Ditto for the old 17-85 Pan-Cinors with built-in finders.

One of the cinematographers I work with told me the Ang 17 -68 definitely covers S16 and this is one reason I bought the lens. I also have a Filmo DR and the lens is useful on that non-reflex cam. The Ang 17 -68 stops open to 2.2. I have not throughly tested the lens at all iris stops, but my guess that it will yeild soft results when opened wider than F4.. For low-light shooting I'll turn to primes.

Duall in NYC offers a reflex conversion:

reflexfinder2.jpg

source: http://www.duallcamera.com/store/index.shtml

....but based on the looks of things and the price for the conversion, I think finding a zoom with a dogleg finder is the way to go with the a - cam, although I have yet to hear from anyone who has actually tried it.

Steve

You might be right, but I found a ok priced 16mm Schneider with arri ST mount ( guess its 1:2.0 or better) and decided for at converter ( around 100 pounds so its not that bad..)( les bosher)

But yes im still new to this "far to light helmet cam", having worked with heavy film/video eqip for more then 20 years..

Still I just need a "head and shoulder lense" ( of a good quality ).( that workes from f22 down to f2.0 on s16)

And No I havent converted to the reflex version, just bought a 9 inch 16:9 monitor instead..( the cam has a "video ass" that is "fixed 9mm" ( and quite precise, at showing the excact framing )

When working on the 16mm lense its quite simple just to have marked - with a pencil, on the monitor - the framing limit of this lense

And yes I do have freinds who has zeiss primes with arri st mont, so theres the "other" reason for buying a "converter" Also If i whant to buy the eg century 3,5mm its easier to find with arri st mount

Guest Ian Marks
Still I just need a "head and shoulder lense" ( of a good quality)

Fair enough, you have your reasons for doing it your way, and that's fine. To me, 100 pounds is a fair amount of change, enough to buy the lens of my choice instead of providing a means of mounting one. Also, whenever you use a mount adapter, you introduce the possibility of flange to focal plane error, although with a Bosher adapter you should have no trouble in that regard. The combination of an Arri mount Schneider and the adapter will also protrude more than a C-mount lens would alone.

For a "head and shoulder" lens of 15 to 20mm, I'll just point out that my Angenieux 15mm and Kinoptik 18mm fit the bill nicely. Both are C-mount (no need for an adapter), very compact, and each cost much less than the adapter that you're contemplating. The Angenieux is also very fast at f1.3; the Kinoptik is an f2.0, and apochromatic to boot.

Fair enough, you have your reasons for doing it your way, and that's fine. To me, 100 pounds is a fair amount of change, enough to buy the lens of my choice instead of providing a means of mounting one. Also, whenever you use a mount adapter, you introduce the possibility of flange to focal plane error, although with a Bosher adapter you should have no trouble in that regard. The combination of an Arri mount Schneider and the adapter will also protrude more than a C-mount lens would alone.

For a "head and shoulder" lens of 15 to 20mm, I'll just point out that my Angenieux 15mm and Kinoptik 18mm fit the bill nicely. Both are C-mount (no need for an adapter), very compact, and each cost much less than the adapter that you're contemplating. The Angenieux is also very fast at f1.3; the Kinoptik is an f2.0, and apochromatic to boot.

I ended up with buying to different mounts/adaptors.

A Arri bayo/st mount -> C mount ( old cheap century thing)

and

A Arri PL mount -> C mount (Bosher)

Need the camera to be very flexible, also in mixed enviroments..( many DOPs insist on using the ultra primes)

Still thx everybody for your thoughts and help..