post-production implications on hdv to film print/dvd

Rupe Whiteman

• Premium Member

Hi,

I've an upcoming low budget feature to be shot on hdv and want to know more about the post-production implications. I may be mastering on a z1/movietube combo or hvx200/movietube combo.

As yet I don't have confirmation as to if the producers are planning on a final film print or dvd distribution and I would like to accomodate both. I'm interested to hear people's advice on 1080i, interlace, progressive, 24fp etc and how each has an effect on the post-process.

I'm all ears...

Rupe Whiteman UK

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

I've an upcoming low budget feature to be shot on hdv and want to know more about the post-production implications. I may be mastering on a z1/movietube combo or hvx200/movietube combo.

As yet I don't have confirmation as to if the producers are planning on a final film print or dvd distribution and I would like to accomodate both. I'm interested to hear people's advice on 1080i, interlace, progressive, 24fp etc and how each has an effect on the post-process.

I'm all ears...

Rupe Whiteman UK

You should shoot with the HVX because it shoots 24 fps progessive and this creates a MUCH easier path to film out. If you shoot with the Z1U in 60i, you will have to run your final output through a frame rate converter like a Teranex. Such conversions are costly so keep that in mind.