Sony Professional

Joshua Kolling

• Premium Member

Hi,

The normal way to record location sound is on DAT, but it's a bit pricey. People have used minidisc recorders, but if you can find a solid-state MP3 player with a decent analogue input you may be good to go. You can use a miniDV camera as a sound recorder, again assuming decent inputs. Whatever works - the trick is a decent mic in the right place, the positioning being rather the more important of the two.

Sound is really offtopic for a forum like this; you may get better answers over at dv.com or similar.

Phil

• 1 month later...

Isn't this thread names "production sound"? Perhaps among all the cinematoghraphers, very few are familiar enough with audio to help. I am a sound guy, and I'd be happy to try to offer some help.

However, you didn't specify which recorder you are inquiring about or even what tape format you are interested in. You wouldn't use analog tape for anything more than transcription, and Sony stopped making the last prosumer cassette machine they had. Analog tape transports are very expensive to make and the quality of cassettes is so poor compared to very cheap digital recorders. I don't think Sony makes a professional digital field recorder though.

Sound is really offtopic for a forum like this; you may get better answers over at dv.com or similar.

This "Production Sound" category exists on this forum because production sound professionals have a unique and important relationship to the camera department. This is especially true on SD and HD projects.