Super16 zoom lenses

Josh Silfen

I'm looking for advice on Super16 zoom lenses. All the ones I've worked with have been quite old. I know that there have been great strides in zoom lenses recently with the Optimo series for 35mm, but are there similar sharp modern zooms out there for Super16 as well? Specifically, I'd like to know what Super16 zooms have the best anti-flare coatings and least breathing. Thanks a lot.

-Josh Silfen

I'm looking for advice on Super16 zoom lenses. All the ones I've worked with have been quite old. I know that there have been great strides in zoom lenses recently with the Optimo series for 35mm, but are there similar sharp modern zooms out there for Super16 as well? Specifically, I'd like to know what Super16 zooms have the best anti-flare coatings and least breathing. Thanks a lot.

-Josh Silfen

check out the newer Canon Super 16 zooms. In my opinion they are great lenses.

chris

• Premium Member

-Josh Silfen

Well, 35mm lenses work perfectlky well for shooting super 16, or regular 16 for that matter. I'm fond of the newer Cooke zooms, personally. The canon super 16 zooms Chris mentions are nice as well. The good standby zeiss 10-100 is a favorite of mine, as well, even being a bit older lens.

I second that on the Canon zooms they're very sharp...

And the color rendition is good.

My only qualm with them is that they're huge...

They add at least 5 pounds to the camera outfit.

I wonder if they're any good light-weight zooms for S16?

Hi!

I have just taken a look on a couple of zooms and primes on a projector. Canon 8-64 is still my favourite and looks quite sharp above 2.8 and a half. The Canon 7-63 looked a bit worse, although it is the newer Canon Zoom. If you don´t shoot wide open, the resolution is generally good, even compared to Zeiss Ultraprimes. Flaring and distortion are the major problems of zooms in general. At 16mm focal lenght the distortion of the 8-64 is at its worst. At 12 and 20 mm it is tolerable. Not much you can do about flaring. If the lens is in a bad shape it is getting worse. So check that your Zooms are nice and clean. Of course the Ultraprimes have a better performance at the edge of the frame, but they are expensive and make shooting slow. Ah - and the 8-64 is hardly breathing, I think even less than the Ultraprimes. I wouldn´t shoot on them for 16 unless it is getting really dark and you want to use them wide open.

Best regards from Germany!

Schuh