Dissatisfied with the Grade

Adam Howden

Hi All,

I just finished my first TVC shoot on super 16mm, it was a three day shoot with 4-5 TVC cut from the footage. I was of course wraped to get the opurtunity to shoot it. Whilst some of it looks great other parts don't look that great - I'm sure I'm just looking at it through from an overly self critical perspective but was just wondering if anyone had some advice on it.

I was uable to attend the final grade and essentially it looks the same as the one light with a bit of the saturation pulled out of it. Personally I feel like the final grade is really safe overall. But there are a couple of shots where the light was dropping quite quickle outside and I had to keep dropping the light inside to keep up with it. This was of course all happening at a pretty radip rate near the end of the day, essentially the interior looks lit, I personally think that with a bit of tweaking, like bringing the mids down etc the shots would be fine.

Whats the protocol on this, it goes out to tape tomorrow and I'm not sure if I should say anything to the producer?

Any thoughts,

Sincerely,

Adam Howden.

Melb, Australia.

may i ask where you did the grading ? at cutting edge ?

pretty hard to say, did you have a contract with the production company/ producer that mentions somethign about your rights ?

out of the blue i would say that the producer has the finaly word, but it really depends on the agreements you guys had.

cheers,

dom

Edited by Dmuench

ok, i think they graded a music video i shot.

my producer n director flew down there and did the grade there cause it was cheaper than cutting edge brisbane. i was quite happy with the look. but thats always a 50:50 chance i guess, whenever i can i try to attend the grading.