RE: Faked Depth of field using a screen?

Daniel Yun

Hey all -

My friend is doing a production where he'd love to get alot of depth of field for character shots, however with the power of video it's somewhat limited - so i mentioned to him that (as good or bad as it sounds) there was this screen you could place behind the 'actor' that acts like a diffusion - throwing the background out of focus somewhat?

I've seen it on the web before, however for the life of me cant find it again to show my friend!

Does anyone know what i'm talking about and have a link to it?

It's a hand held diffusion like screen you simply place behind actors to fake depth of field.

Thanks guys! :D

(I've also mentioned mini 35 and such .. but he's on a zero budget so .. ehh)

• Premium Member

It can be done. It was done in Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind, for instance. It's also used in Francis Lawrence's new Pussycat Dolls video at the end as a stylish element. Go to www.dnala.com and click on his name to see that nicely shot video.

It can be done. It was done in Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind, for instance. It's also used in Francis Lawrence's new Pussycat Dolls video at the end as a stylish element. Go to www.dnala.com and click on his name to see that nicely shot video.

Oh yeah! For sure! I dont doubt it cant be done .. haha i really enjoyed sunshine .. for a whole bunch of reason.

What i was mostly looking for (because it's driving me nuts) is that screen thing i saw once online which fakes a background diffusion behind an actor - mostly used for close up shots. (definatley not wides)

But yeah it sure can be done - my friends just finiky about DOF. crazy!

Thanks for the heads up though - checking the website now!

• Premium Member

Something I've been experimenting with lately is using a 6' X 6' frame of 1/2 or 1/4 white net behind the talent. It's all about the lighting of the background and keeping the Key light off of the net. You can get some very strange effects with this. Or even hitting the net with a theatrical gelled special. Sometimes it even looks like a bad green screen. It's fun.

Good luck

FB

• Premium Member

A black net would help the diffusion of the background without reducing contrast so much. It's basically like a scrim used in theater. I read about a documentary once that used different colored lighting on scrims behind interview subjects.

With video the thing you have to watch out for is the diffusion material itself coming into focus -- nets can sometimes show up (depending on a lot of vraiables); Hampshire Frost etc. might be smoother and less noticeable if it comes into focus.

• Premium Member
My friend is doing a production where he'd love to get alot of depth of field <snip> so i mentioned to him that (as good or bad as it sounds) there was this screen you could place behind the 'actor' that acts like a diffusion - throwing the background out of focus somewhat?

You mean "very little depth of field" or a "shallow-focus look", not that he'd love to get a LOT of depth of field (i.e. deep-focus).

Bob1Dp - hampshire frost? wow i'll have to check it out on the net!

Frank Barrera - Haha yeah! It sounds fun! My friend whos using something similar to this effect is going for a similar strange feel/shallow depth of field .. sounds like something fun to experiment with!

Michael Nash - A black net? Ah i'll also look that up! Thanks for the tip on that about the net! I'll keep it in mind since my friend mentioned he may be getting me to shoot the video for him .. in which case i'll just try to get as much shallow depth of field as i can for him through distance and such. haha it's fun when you friend is a director and wants more than you can give ... on such a small budget ..!

David Mullen ASC - Shallow focus look, as mentioned ala depth of field. haha definately not deep focus.

I think i may have just imagined this 'shallow depth of field' look screen .. but i'll check out the hampshire frost and black net! thanks guys!:D

Hampshire frost is a really funny material. It is almost clear and the diffusion is sort of a horizontal pattern. Gaffers and grips would show it to me and I hated it and never used it. I found it too thin and I didn?t like the diffusion pattern which sort of streaks the highlights in one direction. Then I started playing with it and for all sorts of on camera effects. Here I used it to create and underwater battle with a duck.

post-339-1153021774.jpg

Barry Green from Fiercely Independent Films in Las Vegas makes & sells these.

(Sorry, I don't have the link at the moment.)

MP

Hey Matt! Oh really? Awesome! I'd love to get a link/quote from Barry if thats cool?

Thanks!

• Premium Member
Hey Matt! Oh really? Awesome! I'd love to get a link/quote from Barry if thats cool?

Thanks!

Barry sold the line years ago and is no longer associated with the product. As I recall, indietoolbox.com was selling an interview-sized screen for around $500 a year ago.

Update: I checked the site and the current price is $650.00US, shipped.

Barry Green from Fiercely Independent Films in Las Vegas makes & sells these.

(Sorry, I don't have the link at the moment.)

MP

For what it's worth Barry is no longer residing in Las Vegas. I believed he has moved on to the east coast. North Carolina maybe?

Barry sold the line years ago and is no longer associated with the product. As I recall, indietoolbox.com was selling an interview-sized screen for around $500 a year ago.

Update: I checked the site and the current price is $650.00US, shipped.

Great thanks for that! I live in australia - just talked to my friend about the price (who wants the product) - ahhh money conversion is fun ;p