Telecine Bosch FDL60 compared to shadow?

Bernhard Zitz

My school has an old Bosch. I don't know if it's the same model, but it's from the 70's. I agree that it's a waste of time for anything other than an offline. Everything that comes out of our machine is incredibly soft and looks like it was shot 30 years ago. If this project is something you expect to show to people, it's worth your money to get it done on a more modern machine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Is it the same with the FDL90?

Hi,

An FDL 90 can be OK for basic primary correction. Remember its a 15+ years old machine. I remember a company adding a Pogle + DCT secondary correction 11 years ago. Problem was the picture was too noisy for the secondaries to be of much use.

It's not nearly as good as as Shadow but may be acceptable when money is tight.

Stephen

I found a company that have just that combination of a FDL90 and a Pogle in Norway (http://www.smalfilm.no/). He charges $200/operating hour when manually color correcting the material and $300/hour of film when doing a onelight. Those prices are the same for both s16 and s35. I guess I will test this service when I receive my Aaton as I´ll want to shoot a test roll. He also list the possibility of getting the material back on harddrive. I have sent him a question asking in what codec the material will be in then.

• Premium Member
I found a company that have just that combination of a FDL90 and a Pogle in Norway (http://www.smalfilm.no/). He charges $200/operating hour when manually color correcting the material and $300/hour of film when doing a onelight. Those prices are the same for both s16 and s35. I guess I will test this service when I receive my Aaton as I´ll want to shoot a test roll. He also list the possibility of getting the material back on harddrive. I have sent him a question asking in what codec the material will be in then.

Hi,

It's worth a test, hopefully you can get a test for free. FWIW it's not that cheap based on the value of the kit he is using.

Stephen

There´s so few telecine suits here in Scandinavia (atleast that I know of) and it´s either paying a $1000/hour or $200 at this place. I talked to the guy by mail and I will do a test in september as he can´t scan s16 at this moment. The test will be s16 to HD uncompressed standard definition. I will let everyone know the results of my tests. What do think that I can expect from the test, all my previous experience with telecine has been with a Spirit and a Diamond. I know that I can´t expect to get the quality of a Spirit transfer but do you think it would be usable for a DVD version.

• Premium Member
There´s so few telecine suits here in Scandinavia (atleast that I know of) and it´s either paying a $1000/hour or $200 at this place. I talked to the guy by mail and I will do a test in september as he can´t scan s16 at this moment. The test will be s16 to HD uncompressed standard definition. I will let everyone know the results of my tests. What do think that I can expect from the test, all my previous experience with telecine has been with a Spirit and a Diamond. I know that I can´t expect to get the quality of a Spirit transfer but do you think it would be usable for a DVD version.

Hi,

I would telephone th $1000 an hour company, explain your situation. I think you have a chance of getting an evening booking at $250-350 hour. Such deals are common, facilities just don't shout about it. The worst that can happen is they say no!

Stephen