Shooting on Sony Z1P ?

Jacqueline Donaldson

Hi there,

I Dping on a short film shoot at the end of the month - we've just decided to go with the Z1P - I've never shot on this camera and never on HDV .

I've been looking back on alot of posts on the site and I'm getting more & more confused about what I should be shooting at to achieve the best look this camera can possible give.

First of all I'm shooting on PAL and as far as I can I should be shooting at 1080i / 50i and then downconvert to 25p in post...is this correct ? and what shutter speed would I set this to?

OR

does PAL cineframe 25 produce a good look? and would I still be shooting at 1080 with that??

OR

Can I shoot at 25p with 1/50th shutter? What would this look like?

Thanks - totally confused & no time to experiment or test.

Jacqueline

HI again,

forgot to ask - usuallly when I shoot on DV I will use a filter to soften the video look, I've used either a

1/4 soft F/X, a 1/4 warm black pro-mist or a 1/4 black promist.

Do you recommend doing that with HDV or does it really look great without it - I'd rather avoid filters if I can and get a well exposed clean image - but if it will make it look incredible then I'll go for it - what would you guys do? Use a filter or not?

jacqueline

hi there

there is a HUGE amount posts like yours in the archive just look it up. anyway IN MY OPINION it all depends on the script and on your editing budget and time.

answering your questions

First of all I'm shooting on PAL and as far as I can I should be shooting at 1080i / 50i and then downconvert to 25p in post...is this correct ? and what shutter speed would I set this to?

YES if thats what you want to go for. shooting at that rate will give you a clean and very videoish look which then you can downconvert in post. the standard shutter speed will be at 50. go for this choiche if you have an editor who knows what he is doing and enough editing time

OR

does PAL cineframe 25 produce a good look? and would I still be shooting at 1080 with that??

i used cineframe 25 all the times i shot with the camera and im always happy about the look, i am always keen to get everything in camera and its a good way to save time in post. yes it would still be 1080.

OR

Can I shoot at 25p with 1/50th shutter? What would this look like?

YOU CANT shoot cineframe 25 with a 50 shutter. the shutter is locked on 25 with cineframe. remember though, you are never shooting at 25 p, the camera does not shoot progressive.

Thanks - totally confused & no time to experiment or test.

i would reccommend you to get your hands on the camera and start getting used to it before the shoot. its a nightmare to start shooting on a camera you dont know! if you cant, look up the camera´s manual and learn it. here it is http://www.digihire.com.au/manuals/#Cameras, look for the Z1P

forgot to ask - usuallly when I shoot on DV I will use a filter to soften the video look, I've used either a

1/4 soft F/X, a 1/4 warm black pro-mist or a 1/4 black promist.

Do you recommend doing that with HDV or does it really look great without it - I'd rather avoid filters if I can and get a well exposed clean image - but if it will make it look incredible then I'll go for it - what would you guys do? Use a filter or not?

filters that dont have a pattern like nets will do the job, always be careful with the focus though, the closer to the lens the more you will start noticing the filter.

good luck

Edited by federico bonfanti

Thanks,

I have the camera manual and spent a little time with it at the rental house - will have it for a few hours the night before we shoot.

If I'm shooting with cineframe 25 should I still use a 1/4 soft F/X to enhance the look - I'm down with the focusing problems that occur with filters - I've shot alot with them and always get my assistant to shout "focus" to me before we go for a take when using a filter - it works.

Jacqueline

If I'm shooting with cineframe 25 should I still use a 1/4 soft F/X to enhance the look - I'm down with the focusing problems that occur with filters - I've shot alot with them and always get my assistant to shout "focus" to me before we go for a take when using a filter - it works.[/i]

yes, filters can do magic in video so go for it

• 4 weeks later...

In shooting with my own Z1, I've found that Cineframe25 does a great job without the need for filters, in terms of the so-called "video-look" problem. To be honest, I would hope that one day in the not-too-distant future, people would embrace the look of HD or HDV and not necessarily equate it with the look of film. Film-look has this overblown mystique that I can see to some degree, but not to the degree that everyone outright refuses to accept that HD looks good and unique too. Anyway, that said, I like Cineframe25 as it has a cool look to it, but I also like that there is a bit of video lurking in there too. If you want film look, shoot on film.