Film Changing Tents

As others have mentioned, practice. I use a changing bag for a lot of large format 4x5 and 8x10 still photography, and it is damned difficult. Even when using smaller 35mm infrared film, I had a difficult time at first. No matter how well you know the equipment, loading blind for the first few times will seem something of a nightmare.

Good luck.

I am sort of anticipating that. But I will have a little bit of time before the film starts, so I think if I get a reel of leader I can sit at home after my day job and like the millitary will train assembling and dissasembling riffles blindfolded, I to will endlessly drill. There is a chance though I may get a first AC that has some experience loading a mag (film experience is hard to come by up here when you can't afford to pay, I am settling for a lot of ENG experience and I may micro-manage a few departments, or at least double check them for mistakes.) its a short so a slower workpace isn't good, but it won't kill us. Even with the 3 day shoot I am planning, it should be pretty lax (unless I do have to do the crew move to the valley. 40 minutes each way out of the schedule, and probably an extra 100 bucks to pay everyones gas.)

I have to update. After all the wonderful sugestions, I did finaly secure a first AC with both 35mm experience and 16mm experience. This is great, because all the procedural things are taken care of. Loading, unloading, camera reports etc. Also I have an on set reality check. If I think something would work, he would be there to check me and tell me why it may not work as it does in my head.

Thanks for all the suggestions anyway. i am sure I will load one or two mags during to course of the shoot just to get some experience. Thanks for all the help (there will probably be several more posts on this short film before it is shot. I want this to sort of replace the student film I never made. I just started making small indies, but never on film.)

I use and recommend the Harrison Large Changing Tent. I found the Jumbo too big and unweidy. It was mentioned that you could download and reload a 1K mag in the jumbo but personally I don't trust myself to multi-task like that.

That said, my very first job as an AC I loaded 1K 35mm mags using a medium-format changing bag. I did it and didn't make any mistakes even though I had no room to work. I was definitely lucky. That bag is now my backup changing apparatus. In the end, the tent gives you more room to work and more importantly, the ceiling is suspended making it less likely for you to close the door on the bag/tent.

I regularly check the light-proofness of my tent and bag. Every 1/2 year I'll also do the test outlined by Camera Essentials using a roll of 35mm still film.

In the end, nothing beats having a darkroom on an air-conditioned truck.

Whats up Chien,

Good to see you on here! (We worked on "Mercy" together!) I did not realize there was a jumbo changing tent as well. I wonder if I could fit in it.

Just a side note, if you check the tent or bag for leaks by putting it over your head, be sure that your arms remain free and that nobody around you is in possession of gaffer tape. :blink:

Just a side note, if you check the tent or bag for leaks by putting it over your head,

be sure that your arms remain free and that nobody around you is in possession of gaffer tape. :blink:

Thanks for the idea...

Next time I'm on set I'll grab a few of the biggest grips...

And watch for the small AC sticking her/his head into the changing tent & BANG!

Grip & Electrics vs the Camera Dept. :lol: (Let's see who wins.)