Canon K35 35mm Lenses

Guest acoreasc

Guest acoreasc

Has anyone ever shot with the Canon K35 prime lenses that were fitted for use with 35mm motion picture cameras? They are pretty fast (T1.3-1.5) but I was wondering what anyone thought of them. As detailed an answer as possible regarding the lenses would be greatly appreciated!

• Premium Member

The only time I ever used the Canons was in filmschool. They are not really used for professional filmmaking anymore. They are less flare resistant and less sharp that the Zeiss Superpseeds.

• Premium Member

I used them on my first 35mm feature because that's what Leonetti rented along with their Ultracams. By the end of the shoot, we had to get a Panaflex with Zeiss lenses to finish the show, and that's when I noticed that the Canon's were slightly less sharp than the Zeiss, but it wasn't horrible or anything. The Canons are acceptable, although I'd probably avoid shooting them wide-open.

• Premium Member

I own a set of K35s. It's true that they flare a good deal when shooting into lights, which is why they aren't my only set of primes. However, in situations where flare isn't an issue, and most (though not necessarily all) direct lighting is out of the frame, they have a special and unique quality in terms of color, sharpness, and depth of field. A similar shot with a Zeiss will give you a more "neutral" look. So, it's all a matter of what you're trying to achieve.

I recently shoot a TV spot with them, and while at the telecine suite the colorist commented: "these lenses sure are sharp & snappy, shoot it with Ultra Primes?"

And to think that I was going for a different look.

Cheers.

Guest acoreasc

Thank you all for the comments - I was looking for a cheaper set of lenses to own as my first set....I got a 18,25,35,50 and 85mm for $7,500 US - The optics were in perfect shape so I snapped them up. Thanks alot for all the comments

• Premium Member
Thank you all for the comments - I was looking for a cheaper set of lenses to own as my first set....I got a 18,25,35,50 and 85mm for $7,500 US - The optics were in perfect shape so I snapped them up. Thanks alot for all the comments

Hi,

Was that the set on Ebay that did not hit thr reserve?

Stephen

Guest acoreasc
Hi,

Was that the set on Ebay that did not hit thr reserve?

Stephen

Funny you mention that - I almost got fleeced by this guy in London - I think it was the same set - K35s that he wanted to be paid off of Ebay with Western Union....a total sham. He tried to do the same with a set of Zeiss Superspeeds, but ebay pulled the listings I believe....No, these I got from a private seller in Florida.

• Premium Member
Funny you mention that - I almost got fleeced by this guy in London - I think it was the same set - K35s that he wanted to be paid off of Ebay with Western Union....a total sham. He tried to do the same with a set of Zeiss Superspeeds, but ebay pulled the listings I believe....No, these I got from a private seller in Florida.

Hi,

He also sold some Van Diemen/Cooke speed pancros, no feedback got left! The auction got copied 10 or more times.

Stephen

• 2 months later...
I own a set of K35s. It's true that they flare a good deal when shooting into lights, which is why they aren't my only set of primes. However, in situations where flare isn't an issue, and most (though not necessarily all) direct lighting is out of the frame, they have a special and unique quality in terms of color, sharpness, and depth of field. A similar shot with a Zeiss will give you a more "neutral" look. So, it's all a matter of what you're trying to achieve.

Does it cover super 35?

Appreciate any info.

I was wondering if these Canon lenses cover Super 35, please shed some light.

Thanks.