Local 600 Application

I am full time staff DP with IMS Productions, an extension of the Indy Racing League. We are to the Indy Car Series what NFL Films is to the NFL.

I'm assuming I can count my full time status of DP-ing and Camera Operating for the production company toward the 100 Days paid work for acceptance into 600?

I still freelance on the side for NFL Films and various commercial shoots, TV Pilots, etc., but that work is nowhere close to getting me my 100 Days mark as I'm full time shooting for the league.

Can someone verify to me that my full time gig is sufficient and satisfies the regulations for acceptance? Do I simply provide copies of my bi-monthly paycheck stub?

Thanks.

Steve

I am full time staff DP with IMS Productions, an extension of the Indy Racing League. We are to the Indy Car Series what NFL Films is to the NFL.

I'm assuming I can count my full time status of DP-ing and Camera Operating for the production company toward the 100 Days paid work for acceptance into 600?

I still freelance on the side for NFL Films and various commercial shoots, TV Pilots, etc., but that work is nowhere close to getting me my 100 Days mark as I'm full time shooting for the league.

Can someone verify to me that my full time gig is sufficient and satisfies the regulations for acceptance? Do I simply provide copies of my bi-monthly paycheck stub?

Thanks.

Steve

If I understand the rules correctly, no, your hours don't qualify. However don't take my word for it. Contact the LA office of Local 600 and ask them directly. Ask for business agent and they'll be able to answer all of your questions. Go to my website www.whatireallywanttodo.com for a link to the Local website and other useful information.

Good luck.

Probably depends on the job title listed on the paycheck...

The only info on my pay stub is the company letterhead and logo (Indianapolis Motor Speedway Productions) and the standard earnings, tax deductions, etc. There is nothing that lists me as a DP with the company. Can a letter from a company executive/manager help? I'm shooting in a DP/Operator capacity for this company approx. 250 days a year with an eye on freelancing again someday soon with my card.

I think I will have to call the Guild office directly, i was just hoping for quick info as I fear a maze of automated voice mails, redirects and put-on-holds!

• Premium Member
The only info on my pay stub is the company letterhead and logo (Indianapolis Motor Speedway Productions) and the standard earnings, tax deductions, etc. There is nothing that lists me as a DP with the company. Can a letter from a company executive/manager help?

You can TRY... Yes, you need a letter at least. Contract Services will either believe you and the letters, or not, or count part of the days, I don't know.

You can TRY... Yes, you need a letter at least. Contract Services will either believe you and the letters, or not, or count part of the days, I don't know.

Thanks, David. I'll call tomorrow and post what happens for archive FYI.

Steve

The only info on my pay stub is the company letterhead and logo (Indianapolis Motor Speedway Productions) and the standard earnings, tax deductions, etc. There is nothing that lists me as a DP with the company. Can a letter from a company executive/manager help? I'm shooting in a DP/Operator capacity for this company approx. 250 days a year with an eye on freelancing again someday soon with my card.

I think I will have to call the Guild office directly, i was just hoping for quick info as I fear a maze of automated voice mails, redirects and put-on-holds!

Nah, you'll get a real person on the phone. Ask for Bruce Doering or Barbara Jerome at Local 600 and tell them Brian Dzyak suggested you get in touch with them. They'll let you know what you need to do.

• Premium Member
Nah, you'll get a real person on the phone. Ask for Bruce Doering or Barbara Jerome at Local 600 and tell them Brian Dzyak suggested you get in touch with them. They'll let you know what you need to do.

There isn't much point in calling Bruce or Barbara I don't think. The people that will make the decision are Contract Services. Check there website here, or give them a call. This is most likely what Bruce or Barbara will tell you. If you have the pay stubbs and a letter you'll probably be fine.

I just joined amd can tell you a few things. One is that calling the 600 will do nothing, zip. The roster and qualifying days are exclusively controlled by Contract Services. They are the ones you need to talk to. Unfortunately, they are very tough and by the book. I had 140 days which I submitted as DP. Even though these are verifiable films, for each project they wanted letters from producers, 1099s, my invoices to production that match 1099s, signed deal memos by production, and my tax returns for the years in which I worked. They trust nothing but what is on paper. My feeling is that you will have a hard time if the pay stub does not say DP on it. From what I understand the guys at NFL Films are mostly considered operators.

If your not in the Western Region, your requirements may be different. In that case call your regional office. For the Western Region (workig out of LA) the requirements are:

The following documentation is required by Contract Services Administration Trust Fund in order to process your request to be placed on the Industry Experience Roster or Television Commercial Roster:

a) A letter (on company letterhead) from your employer, production or payroll (company) stating the following:

Your name, address, social security number, and telephone number.

The number of days worked and the exact dates worked.

The name of the production on which the work was performed.

The job classification.

For each project, where you were hired and where work was performed (example: you were hired in Los Angeles, but the work was performed in Boston.)

b: Employee check stubs and/or copies of cancelled checks (job capacity should be marked on the check-stub). If you do not have check-stubs, ask the production or payroll company to provide this information.

c) If contract Services Administration Trust Fund does not deem the submitted materials satisfactory, they reserve the right to request further documentation, such as:

W2

Call Sheet

Credit Frame

Crew Sheet

Deal Memo

d) CSATF application and I-9 Form (speak with Contract Services regarding acceptable I-9 documentation before submitting paperwork).

Note: If you are incorporated, send a copy of your incorporation papers to Contract Services for W2 proof.

When demonstrating work experience to be placed onto the Roster, you must be hired in the United States. In addition, all work must be performed in the United States, its terriroties, or Canada. All work must be paid, however deferred compensation may be considered.

After you have compiled the above information, mail or drop off copies of all documentation to Contract Services. If you reside in Los Angeles County, you must visit Contract Services in person. Bring two forms of positive identification with you for I-9 purposes. If you do not reside in Los Angeles, please contact Contract Services for out-of-town procedures. Following is their information:

Contract Services Administration Trust Fund

15503 Ventura Boulevard

Encino, CA 91436-3140

(818) 995-0900

There is one thing I don't understand is why you want to join. Are you being offered union work and missing out because you're not a member? You should realize that for a DP to join the costs total over $11,000. So if you have no reason to join you should really hold off. Once you join you can't even get the benefits until you've worked 600 hours on union jobs. Think about it.

Though I am a DP, I'm considering joining as an Operator as these are the jobs I am missing right now and are available to me through a few DP's that request my work.

I'm aware of the dues and initial membership fees. I'm simply organizing and preparing before I make any decisions.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks, Ray, I did call John who turned me to Justin Conway. He was incredibly helpful.

I believe living in the midwest, my resume and several member who endorsed me made a significant impact. I've been able to avoid the horror stories I've read of inflated documentation and paper work.

I am very pleased with the prospect of joining.