AC box

• Premium Member
During my vacation I was thinking about making an AC box to fit on the front of a tripod head. Does anyone have any design suggestions? What type of bracket would you use to secure the box?

Thanks

There's a standard bracket that most gearheads and some larger fluid heads have for a frontbox. Check somewhere like filmtools.com to get one, I suppose.

During my vacation I was thinking about making an AC box to fit on the front of a tripod head. Does anyone have any design suggestions? What type of bracket would you use to secure the box?

Thanks

Yes they can be Purchased at filmtools. If you decide a frontbox isn't your style or pricerange just build a good belt, and a few cinebags wouldn't hurt. A ditty bag is important too.

Most 1st AC's I work with have a ditty bag or two (with essentials) and some kind of rolling case with a vast array of tools, consumables, etc.

They seem to have a minimum of stuff on belts in order to move quicker.

http://cinemasupplies.stores.yahoo.net/noname5.html

I love my front-box, but I really on use it when I am living on a dolly. I carry a couple things on my belt, and I have 3 Cinebags with random stuff in it. My 2nd has 2x Yeager carts for all the cases/camera AKS, and my loader has a Magliner Sr. for the mag-cases.

If you feel that you need a frontbox, you can build your own if you don't want to buy a pre-made box, and you can buy just the bracket...

http://cinemasupplies.stores.yahoo.net/cselocfronbr.html

You will find your own style, but I carry a small ditty bag with essentials that I don't carry in my front box, or on my belt, and then 2 bags with other stuff I need. Those 2 bags usually stay on the truck though...

A cart probably isn't essential to you right now...(maybe you have one already) but it will become needed...and the Yeagers are freakin awesome...

Anyways, just make sure you have what you need, and that you can get to it quickly, or your 2nd can.

http://cinemasupplies.stores.yahoo.net/yaandsosrcac.html

• 2 weeks later...

Ian-

I do not yet need a front box as I am just beginning my career, but having talked to several AC's and then checking the links you listed I have heard/found that front boxes are becomming relatively extinct! I know once I'm a 1st (some day..) and can live on the dolly for a while I'd love to take off the old belt and just throw on a front box, but it seems they're becoming rather ancient? The AC's I spoke with either got them passed down to them or knew "someone" who still made them. Seems the main manufacturers of them have just up and quit. Have you heard this?

Thank you,

Corey

http://cinemasupplies.stores.yahoo.net/noname5.html

I love my front-box, but I really on use it when I am living on a dolly. I carry a couple things on my belt, and I have 3 Cinebags with random stuff in it. My 2nd has 2x Yeager carts for all the cases/camera AKS, and my loader has a Magliner Sr. for the mag-cases.

If you feel that you need a frontbox, you can build your own if you don't want to buy a pre-made box, and you can buy just the bracket...

http://cinemasupplies.stores.yahoo.net/cselocfronbr.html

You will find your own style, but I carry a small ditty bag with essentials that I don't carry in my front box, or on my belt, and then 2 bags with other stuff I need. Those 2 bags usually stay on the truck though...

A cart probably isn't essential to you right now...(maybe you have one already) but it will become needed...and the Yeagers are freakin awesome...

Anyways, just make sure you have what you need, and that you can get to it quickly, or your 2nd can.

http://cinemasupplies.stores.yahoo.net/yaandsosrcac.html

• 4 weeks later...

You really only need a front box if you are working on the types of productions that use gear heads, such as the Panavision Panahead or the Arri Arrihead.

Most fluid heads (Sachtler, Ronford, O'Connor, etc.) do not usually accept front boxes, except those with special brackets built for that purpose, sometimes found in the larger rental houses.

My front box was made by Don Earl, a long-time Panavision employee who made and sold AC gear as a sideline. It's the only one I have ever had, and is now almost 30 years old. It has had a hard life.

I have modified it and repaired it many times, and it is now just the way I want it. And I will keep repairing it until I retire.

It has been dropped, tipped over, stepped on, fallen, rained and snowed on, dunked in lakes and oceans, and almost run over by the camera truck.

Most of my work is in feature films and episodic TV, and almost all with gear heads, so a front box is right for me.

If you are doing documentaries or commercials or smaller productions, it may not be right for you.

If you need to pick up the tripod and camera and run to the next setup every two minutes, a front box will only slow you down. You are better off with a belt pouch and/or ditty bag.

If you are using a fluid head, and often have to tilt way down, the front box will be in your way, and you will have to remove it for those shots.

When you can find front boxes, they are expensive, so if you do not want to spend the money for a ready-made one, make your own, if you have some basic carpentry skills. Find someone who has one, and make some drawings and careful measurements.

The mounting brackets (two styles - locking and non-locking) are available at some rental houses and on-line supply houses like Filmtools.com.

I recommend the locking type, with a moveable bar that "locks" the braclet onto the gear head, although it will cost more. With the "non-locking" type, any upward push on the box will detach it from the gear head and dump the contents, disrupting the shoot and causing much laughter and embarrassment.

Most serious First Assistants will want one eventually, and when they are ready, they should get one.

Until then, do some research - look at other AC's boxes, see which features you like and which you don't like. Take some measurements, make some drawings, design your own. Ask where other AC's got their boxes, and/or where they got their brackets.

Best Wishes.

Doug Hart

1AC, NYC