best shutter speed for video

Tim O'Connor

• Premium Member

I asked a similar but more general question a while back. Now i'm shooting 24F with an XL-H1

and inclined to shoot as close to 1/50 as possible (I think that's going to be 1/60) but a pretty well-

established D.P. told me to use a shutter speed of 1/120 as "1/60 is going to be too strobey".

That doesn't seem to be borne out in my experience of shooting 1/60 with other cameras. What do

you think about this and shutter speeds in general?

Thanks.

I asked a similar but more general question a while back. Now i'm shooting 24F with an XL-H1

and inclined to shoot as close to 1/50 as possible (I think that's going to be 1/60) but a pretty well-

established D.P. told me to use a shutter speed of 1/120 as "1/60 is going to be too strobey".

That doesn't seem to be borne out in my experience of shooting 1/60 with other cameras. What do

you think about this and shutter speeds in general?

Thanks.

well, from my understanding 1/120 is going to look more "strobey" than 1/60 since it's the shorter exposure time.

• Premium Member
well, from my understanding 1/120 is going to look more "strobey" than 1/60 since it's the shorter exposure time.

Yes, that's what I think and I haven't heard anything beside that D.P.'s comment to agree with it.

Now, sure, a slower shutter speed can get funky ( but I think that means slower than 1/60) and sometimes

people use it for effect, like the 'tracer'

effect if you shoot at something like 1/15 but most people I think would rather play it safe and do their

effects in post.

Last night I shoot at 1/4 (yes) but it was a locked off shot of the moon and stars, and the sky became this

beautiful blue and the house in the corner of the frame looked great. Just for fun and comparison, I rolled

a liitle bit at 1/60 and saw the moon, a virtually black sky and no house. Opening up at 1/60 required the

gain and started getting noisy.

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the time I have shot 24f I have either set my shutter at 1/60 or 1/48. The only time I would go above 1/60 would be if I was specifically going for a strobier look to capture action or movement. I just worked on a show about dancers where all the dance scenes were shot at 1/250. It's a great look when used properly but can be really distracting if used unnecessarilly.