film temperature

Nick Norton

i just recieved my two cartridges of Plus-X and Ektachrome, and on the box it says the film should be stored at 55 degrees fahrenheit. is this only for extremely long storage periods, or should i keep my stock in the freezer until i need to shoot? also, should i keep the cartridges in the box until i want to shoot with them?

and this is a little off topic, but does anyone know how long wein cell batteries typically last for?

thanks-

Nick Norton

• Premium Member
i just recieved my two cartridges of Plus-X and Ektachrome, and on the box it says the film should be stored at 55 degrees fahrenheit. is this only for extremely long storage periods, or should i keep my stock in the freezer until i need to shoot? also, should i keep the cartridges in the box until i want to shoot with them?

and this is a little off topic, but does anyone know how long wein cell batteries typically last for?

thanks-

Nick Norton

If you are not going to use the film soon, refrigerate it in its original sealed packaging. Most household refrigerators will keep the film below the 55F recommended for medium term storage of unexposed film.

Usually don't need to freeze film, and there are some risks if there is excessive moisture in the film, which could cause ice crystals when the film is alternately frozen and thawed, as might occur in a "frost free" freezer. Film that is frozen for very long term storage should be sealed in its original packaging, and stored in a freezer that does not "cycle" temperature for defrosting.

Leave the film in its original factory sealed packaging (taped can, sealed foil bag) until you use it. Be sure to warm up the film before opening the package, to avoid condensation.

Here is information about proper film storage:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/...rage_cond.jhtml

• 2 weeks later...